Help, Urgent need of some LHM fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ukactiva

Help, Urgent need of some LHM fluid

Post by ukactiva »

As the title suggests, my Xantia Activa has been naughty and needs some more lhm fluid !

Any suggestions where I can get some from on a Sunday, in Hertfordshire ?

Thanks
deian

Post by deian »

Halfords will stock it.

Most petrol stations will stock LHM on the shelf.

It's not necessarily Total branded, i've seen unipart branded one in my local petrol station, in a small town north of anglesey.

Don't panic, just pop to an Esso or something.
Rob_e (UK)
My Cars:

Post by Rob_e (UK) »

As Deian suggested, Halfords do usually have it. Although it normally only their own brand at about twice the price the total stuff costs at GSF. But if you need it urgently it is the only place I can think of open on a Sunday.

Deian, You must be lucky round your way if petrol stations still sell car related things. Round here you could buy a sandwich but if you are looking for LHM you are probably out of luck :)
1989 White BX 1.9GTi 8v (Now awaiting some repair)
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Both my "local" motor factors stock LHM (either Morris , Comma or Total) - and one of mine is an "A1" franchise - http://www.a1motorstores.co.uk/storefinder.php
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

If you're REALLY stuck, then you can use engine oil.............but you will have to flush the system ASAP afterwards and fill with new LHM.

Only really an option in a dire emergency!
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
deian

Post by deian »

RE: Engine Oil

Seeing as LHM is mineral (as per the name: Liquide Hydraulic Minerale)... I'd stick to mineral engine oil. Not even part-synthetic.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I wonder if motorcycle fork oil might be suitable as a temporary substitute? I cannot recall if there is anything strange about it but in my biking days I recall it was thin.

Some in parts of the world where LHM is hard to get use ATF (Dextron or similar) but apparantly these have friction modifier additives to help automatic gearbox clutches grip well but in a Citroen suspension system it can werak havoc.

Lastly, what about (simple, not synthetic) two-stroke oil? Hardware stores sell it for lawn mowers. In fact those kind of shops would be the best place to get straight mineral oils as most 4-stroke lawn mowers still use straight SAE30 oil.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
deian

Post by deian »

8) How about veggie oil, work ok in the engines :P
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Both in earlier owners handbooks and Haynes, its mentioned that mineral engine oil 10w40 can be used in an emergency, in case of LHM leaks.
Any type mineral engine oil would in fact be suitable. Only the viscosity index (fluid thickness) limits its usage.

Do NOT use ANYthing else !
ATF contains friction modifiers and will definately not be a very good substitute.
Especially avoid DOT brake fluids & veggie oils ! :!: ! :idea: !
DOT brake fluid = veggie oil base :shock:
Last edited by AndersDK on 08 Jul 2007, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I entirely agree with Anders - don't use ATF.

However I'm always curious why ATF is the choice for power steering systems which don't need friction modifiers. Perhaps its why my ZX pump bearings failed at 88,000 miles! I did wonder about re-filling with LHM but as the new pump will probably outlast my ownership of the car decided it wasn't worth taking a risk with the seals etc.
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

jeremy wrote:I entirely agree with Anders - don't use ATF.

However I'm always curious why ATF is the choice for power steering systems which don't need friction modifiers. Perhaps its why my ZX pump bearings failed at 88,000 miles! I did wonder about re-filling with LHM but as the new pump will probably outlast my ownership of the car decided it wasn't worth taking a risk with the seals etc.
Probably because its cheap and readily available...and once the choice is made to use it, the system (seals etc) is designed around it.

Just in the same way that DOT brake fluids are cheap and readily available and widly used even though they are inferior to mineral oils.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive