Xantia fault codes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xf8u

Xantia fault codes

Post by xf8u »

My car is a 1997 2.1td and will not start.

A scan revealed the following codes:

202 ROTOR QUANTIT CYCLE CONTROL

48 ROTOR 2 POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT

What are they, where are they and can they be replaced?

Thanks in advance
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Your 2.1TD will have the EPIC system controlled diesel injection pump.
Some of our 2.1TD experts may know excatly what the problem is.

I'm bit surprised the engine wont start, as to my knowledge it would still start with a misisng/bad sensor, but run rough (injection timing issue).

Whats the engine mileage and history on cambelt ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
xf8u

Post by xf8u »

The engine management light was coming on sometimes the previous day and it was running rough. If I turned engine off and restarted it the light would sometimes go out and the car would run as normal.
The following day I started it, thirty seconds later it cut out and will not start (but turns over)
The mileage is 113k and I replaced the cambelt and auxilary belt at 110k before I started taxiing.

I have rang a Citroen dealer at Chester and they say that code 202 could be either a wiring, injector or and ECU fault but they don't know which.
Also, they say they have no record of code 48.
Could it be the crank sensor?
Hope this info helps
I am a taxi driver and this is going to cost me an arm and a leg.
I need to get this sorted quick time.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

One (only !) of the injectors will have an electric connection for the build-in injection time sensing&correction. This sensor is part of the injector and must therefore be replaced as a complete sensor+injector assembly.

You can check it by ohm's measuring the wiring to the sensor. Should be roughly in the region 300-1200 ohm's. Cant remember any exact value, but it WILL be either disrupted (high ohms) or shortcircuited (rare). No odd values in between on failure. Its either go or no-go.

Also follow this sensor cable on its run to check any obvious frayed cabling problem.

Same goes on any findings of a TDC sensor.

Should be a simple test to perform at any independent mechanic.

PS : I seem to recall there is a temp sensor somewhere on this 2.1TD which makes haywock if it fails. Try find it on/ near the thermostat housing. It will be a 2-lead cable most likely with an earth sheath. As opposed to standard engine sensor/switches for the dash which are single lead cables.
Test method same as above..
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i can't help you with the fault code but if you have a look here on this forum i'm pretty sure they will be able to tell what the codes mean.

http://www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm very much with Anders that this is a sensor failure or the wiring to one.

The TDC sensor, if it is the same as a 1.9TD/16V petrol one will show a resistance of around 400 ohms. The temperature sensor will show roughly the same. If either are open or short-circuit then they're duff.

A duff coolant temperature sensor will kill a petrol engine dead and likely it'll do the same to a fully electronic diesel.

The lift sensor is a bit trickier to test but I would have thought the engine would have run, albeit roughly, with it disconnected.

ECUs very rarely fail.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xf8u

Post by xf8u »

Thanks Jim,
When you say TDC sensor, do you mean the crank sensor? I can't see any sensors on the cylinder head anywhere.
Also, the lift sensor. I'm not sure what or where that is.
The throttle cable does not go to the pump on my car, instead, it goes to a kind of potentiometer, can this be checked?

I have noticed on the fuel filter/thermostat assembly that there are two sensors next to each other. Could you tell me which is which?

Also, does anyone know the total number of sensors that can be checked and their values measured on a multimeter.
Thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

AndersDK wrote:One (only !) of the injectors will have an electric connection for the build-in injection time sensing&correction. This sensor is part of the injector and must therefore be replaced as a complete sensor+injector assembly...
= lift sensor
citrojim wrote:The TDC sensor, if it is the same as a 1.9TD/16V petrol one will show a resistance of around 400 ohms.
= crank sensor = crank angle sensor
xf8u wrote:The throttle cable does not go to the pump on my car, instead, it goes to a kind of potentiometer, can this be checked?
Yes it can be checked. But it wont give you start problems, so better leave it out
xf8u wrote:I have noticed on the fuel filter/thermostat assembly that there are two sensors next to each other. Could you tell me which is which?
Does not matter !
Simply check both with an ohm meter as depicted above. The one that reads high ohm is defective - as simple as that 8)
xf8u wrote:.... that can be checked and their values measured on a multimeter.
As both Jim and I points out, you wont gain anything by checking any emperical ohmic value on these sensors. They always disrupts (reads high ohm) on failure. They ARE really either go or no-go. No odd values 'in-between' that causes failures.
xf8u

Post by xf8u »

Thanks for info.
I have tested the crank sensor - ok
air flow sensor - ok
lift sensor - ok

The coolant sensor does not give a reding though.
I will replace it and see if the car will start
xf8u

Post by xf8u »

Just out of interest, there are two sensors on the thermostat housing. It is the left hand one that shows infinite resistance