ABS Ring Broken on CV Joint on Xantia.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Burgman
My Cars:

ABS Ring Broken on CV Joint on Xantia.

Post by Burgman »

Hi All ~ I have a Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 hp year 2000 X plate - done 67,000 miles around southwest Scotland.
Funny noises one day led me to check the front brakes, to find that the ABS Ring on the offside CV Joint had a break in it and was slack.
I took it off as I was scared that it would jam up in the system.
So my ABS no longer work and light on the dash is on.
Can you buy a new ring to fit on the CV Joint, or is it the case that a new CV Joint, complete with the ABS Ring, has to be fitted ? :?: :?:
Xantia 2.0 HDi Diesel Hatchback 110 hp year 2000 Ayrshire.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The official route is a new driveshaft as Citroen (and many other suppliers of their bits) only sell complete shafts.

I think if you search this site you will find an account of the rings removal and replacement.
jeremy
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

If removal of the ring is possible then the breakers yard could be a good source for a replacement at a reasonable price
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I had the same thing happen on my 2000W Xantia HDi 110 Estate. Neither Euro nor GSF seemed to sell a replacement joint so I ended up getting one from eBay. My car is almost exactly the same model as yours so you'd expect it to be the same but you might be best to do a spline count just in case.

eBay seller

It's listed as a 406 joint but it fits my Xantia too.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Burgman
My Cars:

That ABS Reluctance Ring broken on the CV Joint.

Post by Burgman »

Thanks for all the replies and info. Resolved the problem. (GSF reckoned that it would have to be the full Drive Shaft - easy to get for the 90 hp but not for the 110 hp version). However, they put me on to Glasgow Power Steering. They, were able to fit a new CV Joint complete with ring in situ (48 teeth for 110 hp 2.0 Litre HDi year 2000 Xantia SX.)
Quite common fault they told me. The 90 hp has a 29 tooth ring and is easier to get and cheaper. My 40 tooth ring/ CV Joint - supply and fit cost £115.15 incls VAT. Glasgow Power Steering, 70 Camelon St, Carntyne Industrial Estate, Glasgow. G32 6AF. Tel 0141-764-1818- ask for John (very helpful) or Mary in the office.
www.glasgowpowersteering.co.uk
Xantia 2.0 HDi Diesel Hatchback 110 hp year 2000 Ayrshire.