LHM leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jcdel
My Cars:

LHM leak

Post by jcdel »

Due to the floods recently I had cause(greatly assisted by a Royal Mail van going a touch too fast considering the conditions) to swerve onto a grass mound on the nearside).Any other car,and it would have meant a garage recovery but being a Citroen, I was able to lift and drive off the embankment.Other than chunks of grass stuck in the frame etc there appeared to be no major problems.This morning there is an amount of LHM that has leaked from mid-engine to the rear of the n/s/f wheel.Levels are acceptable and no dash lights are on.The car maintains height and only leaks with engine turned off.I have little facilities where I live and cannot even purchase LHM fluid without driving some distance to the nearest station.It clearly is leak off and appears to come from a 3 or 4 way junction midway at the rear of the front frame.Obviously I daren't venture under the car at this stage and in my own mind, I am confident that I can drive some distance to get access to a ramp without any major problems.The Haynes doesn't give a decent picture of this area.All suggestions greatly welcomed. Thanks
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

What car?
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Umm, the only thing that I can imagine that has come adrift without causing any failure except a leak is the front strut leakage return pipe.

This is only a push fit between the rubber tube from the strut proper to the leakage return pipe proper under the wing and is quite easily dislodged.

This assumes it is a Xantia. If a BX, the "Octopus" is perhaps damaged and leaking.

I'd get under it sooner rather than later and diagnose exactly wat has happened in case there is a major problem brewing as a result of the incident.

Please take care and ensure the car is adequately supported on axle stands before going underneath. Hydraulic Citroens can KILL if the suspension suddenly collapases and drops the car on top of you.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jcdel
My Cars:

LHM leak

Post by jcdel »

Sorry guys.It is Xantia 1.9TD 1996 Estate
jcdel
My Cars:

LHM leak

Post by jcdel »

Sorry again,when I say leak off ,I assume that the problem is a return pipe due to not leaking whilst engine running.I can see what I think is the junction ("T" piece with plastic? pipes which dont have union nuts on so I presume it is the return junction for the two front struts as previously suggested)I have just fired her up and no probs at all with height etc. just a slight dribble at this junction from high to intermediate.I will post my findings shortly.Thanks for all suggestions to date.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, that'll be the leakage return. Very low pressure and no need for unions. At worse the "T" will be cracked or just a pipe a little dislodged or damaged. A nice simple repair :wink:

There is no danger from this dribbling, it will be just messy :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...