Xantia Tyre Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia Tyre Problem

Post by PicassoPigeon »

On my Xantia as i turn left and the weight shifts to the right hand side of the car I seem to have some instabillity. Also the drivers side rear where the weight shifts has an odd wear pattern mostly around the outside edge.The pressures are all fine that was my first check.
Also the fronts are wearing around the outside edges is this just tracking?
Thanks for your help.

gav425
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If both outside edges of the front tyres are wearing evenly then thats fairly normal, especially if you corner fast, wear on the outside edges would indicate to much toe in and vice versa. Any uneven wear pattern that varies around the circumferance is usually down to a defective tyre, but excessive wear on the inside edges of the rear tyres is generally down to the radius arm bearings having failed
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If the toe in is significantly out you will probably be able to see it if you look carefully - for example with the wheel straight ahead - sight along the tyre edge and look at the back wheel. - If you find both sides that you are looking at something far outside the line of the back wheel - then you have considerably excessive toe in. This is NOT an accurate method of tracking - just MAY give you an idea of what is wrong.

Instability on weight transference sounds more like bottom ball joint or wishbone rubbers.
jeremy