strange noise on xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ricflair

strange noise on xantia

Post by ricflair »

Ive got a p reg xantia td 1.9lx

For a few weeks, im getting random whailing noises when im driving. If i stop, and start the car again its gone. Its appearing randomly and is very strange.

Any ideas? Seems to be coming from the engine. Also, sometimes latley ive swtiched the ignition off after driving and the car kind of takes a second or 2 before it switches off. Not sure if im making sense here,, not knowing much about these cars.

Cheers
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

I'm no expert by any means but my BIL had a ZX (it was a complete lemon)....anyway....he complained to me about a whistling type noise coming from the engine. So he revved the car while I stood at the front, I could hear the noise but I found it to be coming from the end of the exhaust.

I queried this on the forum and the response received was its fairly normal and nothing to worry about.

The noise appeared (From memory) at about 2,500RPM to 3k.

So might be best to get someones foot on the pedal while you have a walk around.

OR

It might be none of the above and its probably due to a hamster :lol:
Golf 55' 1.9TD
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though it could possibly be a bearing somewhere, either the cambelt idler/tensioner or the alternator, difficult to locate even when its doing it!

Your delay in stopping problem is probably due to a sticking stop solonoid in the fuel injection pump - if indeed yours has one, being a 'P' reg yours could be an electronic pump but you can tell by looking at it, if it has the throttle cable connected to a lever on the pump, it should have a stop solonoid, fairly easy to change - unless it has a keypad!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It is difficult to diagnose from a distance but Mez has the right idea.

My starters would be a leaky turbo hose or intercooler which can cause some nice whistles, exhaust manifold join to the exhaust and head, EGR valve and further back on the exhaust where the back box joins.

Also, if it is more of a whine than a whistle, the auxillary drive belt, its tensioners, alternator, HP pump or A/C compressor. These can all be excluded at a stroke by removing the belt.

The cam belt and it's tensioners can make a similar sort of noise and in some cases, even the water pump. Another suspect could be the crankshaft pulley beginning to break up.

These noises can be tricky to pin down, especially if they only happens when moving at speed or if it is difficult to provoke the noise with the car stationary.

You say it is random but can it be provoked by doing anything like dipping the clutch, switching things on or off, taking the steering to full lock and is it there hot and cold? Is it only there when the car is moving?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

It is difficult to diagnose from a distance but Mez has the right idea.
Well theres a first for everything hehehe
Golf 55' 1.9TD