Xantia 99 Pollen Filter Removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jmd
My Cars:

Xantia 99 Pollen Filter Removal

Post by jmd »

For the benefit of anybody contemplating the above job. According to the Haynes Manual. Removal of the above is carried out by "2 Remove the 3 securing screws and withdraw the lid from the Pollen Filter Housing". I spend a considerable length of time searching for the 3 screws concerned, to discover that these screws do not exist in my car, which has a lid that slides off towards the centre of the car. Just thought I'd pass this on & save others time & frustration. ( Perhaps this "Pollen Filter Lid Removal", differs from car to car)
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

Yep, I did mine today as well and was wondering where the hell the screws were... :D

Looks like the filter in mine was in there since the car was made. Clogged isn't the word.

On the plus side I fiinally got around to stashing the "brain" for my phone kit under there too :D
ImageImage
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

For anyone contemplating changing their pollen filter, if you suffer from pollen allergy/hayfever, stay away from GSF or even Citroen filters, and get one of the better aftermarket filters (e.g http://www.puravent.co.uk ).

The cost a bit more (~£20) but they keep my allergy to pollen under control, while the GSF/Citroen filters do not.
2.1td
My Cars:

Re: Xantia 99 Pollen Filter Removal

Post by 2.1td »

jmd wrote:Remove the 3 securing screws and withdraw the lid from the Pollen Filter Housing". I spend a considerable length of time searching for the 3 screws concerned, to discover that these screws do not exist in my car, which has a lid that slides off towards the centre of the car. Just thought I'd pass this on & save others time & frustration. ( Perhaps this "Pollen Filter Lid Removal", differs from car to car)
Think this refers to the screws which hold the fibre trim that covers the filter box housing!

2.1td
Be careful!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

2.1td wrote:
jmd wrote:Remove the 3 securing screws ...)
Think this refers to the screws which hold the fibre trim that covers the filter box housing!2.1td
No the early cars had screws holding the pollen filter cover, which then pulled straight down. So Haynes is correct for those.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

jmd wrote:For the benefit of anybody contemplating the above job. According to the Haynes Manual. Removal of the above is carried out by "2 Remove the 3 securing screws and withdraw the lid from the Pollen Filter Housing". I spend a considerable length of time searching for the 3 screws concerned, to discover that these screws do not exist in my car, which has a lid that slides off towards the centre of the car. Just thought I'd pass this on & save others time & frustration. ( Perhaps this "Pollen Filter Lid Removal", differs from car to car)
Snap! Took me ages to realise there were no screws on mine, just slide bottom cover towards centre console. I wondered why I wasn't getting the screen demisted....

Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Mine looked like that too, a hundred thousand miles of bugs, it demists better now.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Mine was not that bad, the car is year 99, purchased recently. The Filter had an 05 date, so evidently it had been renewed. I washed it & left it out to dry, on one of the Sunny days last week. The LHM fluit looked terrible, and I am now running on Hydroflush. So much for "Full Service" history. I often discarded better looking LHM on my old car after 30,000 miles.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

jmd wrote:Mine was not that bad, the car is year 99, purchased recently. The Filter had an 05 date, so evidently it had been renewed. I washed it & left it out to dry, on one of the Sunny days last week. The LHM fluit looked terrible, and I am now running on Hydroflush. So much for "Full Service" history. I often discarded better looking LHM on my old car after 30,000 miles.
Funny thing about LHM, when I had my old 2 litre Xant I took it to a Cit dealer for a service and asked them to change the LHM. When I got the bill they had only charged for 1 litre which I thought was a bit strange, but at the time I was much less Xantia savvy so I didn't persue it. I can only assume that all they did was suck out what was in the reservoir tank and replaced that only :roll:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

er... where exactly is the pollen filter? as my car has a hard time demisting, and after reading this, I'm going to put it down to the pollen filter.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

TehAgent wrote:er... where exactly is the pollen filter? as my car has a hard time demisting, and after reading this, I'm going to put it down to the pollen filter.
Pull down (after removing the screws) the carpet under the glove box.
There's a long thin panel to the right of the motor.
Slide this aside (I can't remember which direction, but mine was very tough) and then pull out the old black feather covered filter.
Make a note which way the slanted top goes.
Either wash or replace.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

ill give that a go in a min, when you have replied to my pm Andy :)
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

TehAgent wrote:ill give that a go in a min, when you have replied to my pm Andy :)
Replied :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Slide towards the centre of the car- away from the passenger door. Although the earlier models pre 99 may have 3 screws
aneesh84
My Cars:

Re:

Post by aneesh84 »

jmd wrote: 19 Jun 2007, 02:07 Slide towards the centre of the car- away from the passenger door. Although the earlier models pre 99 may have 3 screws
It is so tight, doesnt move with hand. Can i use a hammer?
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh