Xantia 1.9TD Aux Belt Auto Tensioner Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD Aux Belt Auto Tensioner Problem

Post by PicassoPigeon »

This is about the spring loaded tensioner like the 2.1
My auto tensioner has snapped off :evil: . The main bolt that holds the roller and bearing to the whole hp pump,alternator bracket has sheered off leaving part of the bolt still in that main bracket.
:shock: HELP :shock:

Will this ever come out or is it a trip to scrapman for a new to me one.Why would this part snap off like that, would it be caused by running with too small a belt or over tightening of the bolt when first fitted.

What fun i am having NOT :evil:

gav425
2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi
125,000 miles
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

With a bit more dismantling the alloy plate should come off, it bolts into that right? then you have a chance of getting the broken bolt out, it just means that the fuel pump and HP pump have to come off, its quite a hefty bolt, perhaps metal fatigue from the belt slapping about for all those miles (my Xantia is the same)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

With any luck the remains of the bolt should come out without too much trouble. It is unlikely to be really badly corroded in that position as it has had a staple diet of LHM and oil mist to keep it free for a few years.

I'm with Stewart on the fatigue. It is a very heavily loaded item. That spring is STRONG and with the A/C running and the alternator working hard it is going to have had a hard life.

When you reassemble, check very carefully that all pulleys and jockeys are running in-line, especially the alternator. There are subtle differences in the various alternators and one difference is the distance betwen the pully and mounting lugs. I had to replace a perfectly good alternator on my Activa because the pulley was out of line. Any out of line running will cause increased stress on everything.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Ok bolt half is now removed. Got a new spring and tensioner but no bolt and nut to hold the spring on to the tensioner.
Also got a new crankshaft pulley £56 +vat from GSF hope its the right one but again never came with new bolt.
Should i go to Dealer for the bolts that i will need?

Ah now that i have new spring I also cant remember what way around it should go. It has a bearing on one end, does this attach to the tensioner or the main alternator bracket.
Note to self, must take digi pics next time i start something. :oops:
gav425
125,000 miles
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I would because of the loading on these.

pr.net (service.citroen.com) is back so it'll be easy to get the part numbers you need.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The pics on the link in this thread might help. The bolts will be quite cheap, and the crank bolt comes ready loctitied - make sure you use the old bolt to clean the threads out first though!
Richard W
PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

Does anybody know what the torque setting should be for these bolts?

Thanks for your help, I dont want to over tighten them.
gav425
125,000 miles