tracking... again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

0°25' is 0 degrees, 25 minutes. Old fashioned fractional measurement of angles (still 60 mins in a degree though). You can also quote ° ' " for more accuracy 8) .
Richard W
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

deian wrote:well i think it'll be a good idea to get 4 wheel tracking done, then at least the front will be centred with the back wheels, they should then go on to toe the wheels out.

I reckon a trip to ATS is needed, I need my front wheel balancing too.

How would worn drop links affect the tracking? I don't think it matters much myself.
You can NOT get a 4 wheels tracking. The rear wheels are as you find them, no adjustment possible, unless something is really wrong.

You dont need to get the front wheels absolute in line with the rear wheels to track the front wheels.

The tracking is done like this :

1) notice how the steering wheel center spoke is offset during drive to keep a straight line of driving.
2) the front wheel OPPOSITE to what the steering wheel points to, is then adjusted a bit longer on the trackrod (always do it this way :shock: ) to counteract the steering wheel offset.
3) repeat the adjustment if a testdrive does not prove satisfactory.
4) now check the that the tracking is within nil to slightly toed out.

The tracking is measured this way :
1) either as an angle between the 2 lines parallel to both frontwheels
This is to be within the 0deg to 0deg25' value. This method is tedious if you dont have the mandatory garage tracking test tool.
2) or as the difference between the front and rear distances between tyre edges. This difference must be within 0-3mm, with the larger value at front edge of tyres.

If & when you find the measured value outside the specifications, you MUST adjust BOTH sides tierods equal amounts to keep the steering straight ahead.

I think you may now see the idea of the approach mentioned by PeterN, and why it is widespread used by DIY mechanics. Its very simple to do, and its failsafe.

EDIT : Note the important correction !
Last edited by AndersDK on 19 Jun 2007, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

I understand what you said, now that i went to ATS and paid £29.38 of my good money for them fluff it up the other way... granted the steering is tighter, but the wheel is around 11oclock now, and it pulls to 1oclock when the wheel is centred, they lined this up with a laser too, i checked myself.

They checked on a chart and said the wheels should toe out 1mm... which is fair enough, it's within the Citroen limits that i saw on the new pr-net

One thing every tracking mechanic does not do it test drive the car before and after adjustment, this is such a simple procedure to better understand what is needed of the adjustment.... why oh why oh why are some mechanics so dim!!???

In top of this, ATS today noticed the old garage didn't even tighten on of the bolts that hold the tracking in place!!

If i had a lift i'd do it myself to perfection, i'd spend all day at it if i had to, i cannot even start to tell you guys how annoying a car is to drive with the steering not aligning!!

I'll take the car back to ATS tomorrow (another branch) and hand them the receipt so they can have a look. If they can't do it, I'll just have to do it myself when I come back from Norwich on the weekend. It infuriates me!
deian

Post by deian »

Hi again,

further to the titled issue, and after 6 attemtps in total by two different garages, my tracking issues are sorted (in the end by ATS), after i put the newer tyres on the back.

TIP OF THE DAY: tyres may look good, and be at the right pressure, but there are some weird hidden problems that may give a false alignment reading!

A big thanks to you all.