What's my car?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

What's my car?

Post by MikeT »

Hello Everyone :D

Newly registered user MikeT who recently bought a used Xantia and is extremely confused over proper identification of model/engine/injection etc.

V5 says '98 Xantia 1.9 TD Tempt 2 which is the year they changed the model :?

Haynes (BOL as you call it) says it's a MKII because the intercooler is in front of the radiator. Citroen parts shop says it's a MKI because it has the infra-red remote unit. Posters here suggest it's MKII for having the chevron on the grille. :?

BOL says the engine type is on a plastic label on the engine block (XUD etc) but I can't see it. :(

The injector pump has Bosch on it but don't know if there are different types. (what's this about running on vegetable oil? :P )

As I've inherited a few faults and have a shoestring budget I feel it's important to know these things for correct diagnosis and parts ordering. Can anyone help me identify what's what please? Many thanks, Mike

p.s. Thanks to all contributors as I've gained a wealth of knowledge having spent the last week reading hundreds of relative posts.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The MK1/2/facelift varies from person to person.

Some people consider MK1 to be Xantias with the chevrons on the bonnet
They consider chevrons on the grill to be MK2, and then the facelift version.

Other people consider prefacelift to be MK1, and post facelift to be MK2

Good isn't it?

With a bosch pump, and the right mix of diesel and vegetable oil (Tesco rapeseed is good) you can run much more enviromentally friendly.
However, to do it legally, you have to declare how much veg oil you use, and pay nearly 47p per liter for it as it's a "diesel substitute" not biodiesel.
HMRC is debating whether to exclude users of less than 2500L a year from this requirement which would be great.
You can refine veg oil into biodiesel which has a duty of only around 27ppl though you have to factor in the refining costs and nasty chemicals like concentrated sulphuric acid needed.
If you've got a mate with a chipshop and free waste oil, refining would be the way to go.

I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the Temptation is the same as the LX
Desire is the same as SX
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I seem to recall that Citroen.pr.net called anything before the 1998 facelift "Xantia I" and those built after that were "Xantia II".

The differences on the earlier facelifts were largely cosmetic & fairly minor, its the 1998 facelift that was the most significant in many respects.
Last edited by nick on 12 Jun 2007, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Mike and a very warm welcome :)

The various Marks of Xantaie is confusing.

There is a Mk1 from 93 to 94 which as cheverons on the bonnet and not on the grille. This is the original "sinking" Xantia.

Then there is a later Mk1 with Chevrons on the grille. This has anti-sink hydraulics.

Both these Mk1s have a grille separate for the bonnet. Some refer to the later Mk1 as the Mk2

Then there is the much later (98 on) "Facelift" model, which is generally taken to be the Mk2 which can be differentiated by having a totally different, more curvy front end that looks much like an Xsara. This has the grille and bonnet in one and much larger Chevrons.

That is the easiest way to tell. All TD's have an intercooler in front of the rad and all TDs have XUD engines whatever their age or mark. XUD is simply an engine code for the family of XU Diesels.

A TD with a Bosch pump will run happily on vegetable oil. Others here will fill in the details as I don't personally.

Pop up some pictures and we can do a positive ID.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Also, "Facelift" models have clear rear indicator lenses rather than smoked ones.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

nick wrote:I seem to recall that Citroen.pr.net called anything before the 1998 facelift "Xantia I" and those built after that were "Xantia II".

The differences on the earlier facelifts were largely cosmetic & fairly minor, its the 1998 facelift that was the most significant in many respects.
Personally, this is the way I look at the differences between Mk I and II
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Xac, nick, citrojim & LeeDJC for the quick and helpful responses. I made a mistake Xac you are correct, it's not an SX but LX.
It does not sink overnight and the grille is seperate to the bonnet.
I always suspected it's the MKI and it does have smoked rear lenses.
I took a few photos but can't see how to upload them, I guess I need to upload them to a hosting site first.

[/img]
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Another tell-tale is the grab handle on the MK I's above the glove box. The MK II's have an airbag there.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

LeeDJC wrote:Another tell-tale is the grab handle on the MK I's above the glove box. The MK II's have an airbag there.
The designer obviously having sorted things out with his wife by the time of the face lift, giving her a nice safe airbag rather than a solid bar to whack her head against when performing an emergency stop :D

Out of interest Mike, do you have electric rear windows?

Does anyone know if the Xantia Sensation had a lx/sx/vsx equivalent?

DIY sphere tool
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Xac wrote:
LeeDJC wrote:Another tell-tale is the grab handle on the MK I's above the glove box. The MK II's have an airbag there.
The designer obviously having sorted things out with his wife by the time of the face lift, giving her a nice safe airbag rather than a solid bar to whack her head against when performing an emergency stop :D

Does anyone know if the Xantia Sensation had a lx/sx/vsx equivalent?
Lol

I never did quite get my head round exactly what that is in the MK I. A grab handle, or just somthing to stick things behind or what. It doesn't really serve any particular purpose!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Yep, I got the grab handle. Cheers
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The grab handle goes right back to the very early prototypes of the Xantia, though why it got put there in the first place no one seems to know :)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Xac wrote:

Electric front windows, manual rear windows Xac.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Just like to put my 'tupenneth' in

1. Not all 1.9td's had an intercooler

2. The 'grab handle' is actually to retain newspapers/documents etc...
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

f00lzz wrote:Just like to put my 'tupenneth' in

1. Not all 1.9td's had an intercooler

2. The 'grab handle' is actually to retain newspapers/documents etc...
Which 1.9TD didn't have the intercooler? Is it the 1.9SD?

DIY sphere tool