1.9D Spheres onto a 1.8 16v Estate?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

1.9D Spheres onto a 1.8 16v Estate?

Post by LeeDJC »

I was wondering if putting the front spheres from my 1.9D onto my estate would have any detrimental effects, or is it just likely to a bit softer than the standard Estate spheres?

I realise that the rears are an estate specific sphere to cope with loads etc so swapping those isn't an option.

The spheres on the estate are getting towards the end of their life, so was thinking about putting the front ones from the 1.9D onto it for the minute until I get some new ones.

Can anyone see any problems with this? I'd imagine they'd act a bit like comfort spheres.

Part numbers from GSF are different, N45330 for the 1.9D and N45334 for the 1.8 16v.

(They're both non-HD btw)

Thanks!
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

As they're both non-hydractive Lee, I see no real problem although I expect 1.9D spheres will be slightly firmer to cope with the additional weight of the diesel engine. Don't take that as gospel though, it'll need a comparason of pressures and damper bore sizes (information I don't have :( ) to be sure.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Thats a good point, I didn't take the weight into consideration. I'm not too concerned about it being a little firmer, as no doubt it will be an improvement over what is already on there!

The current ones aren't too bad, but it's not as smooth as it should be.

Didn't I see a link somewhere which had a table of bore sizes/pressures etc?

Perhaps someone will post it again ;)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

citrojim wrote:As they're both non-hydractive Lee, I see no real problem although I expect 1.9D spheres will be slightly firmer to cope with the additional weight of the diesel engine. Don't take that as gospel though, it'll need a comparason of pressures and damper bore sizes (information I don't have :( ) to be sure.
You do now:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... a_spheres/

:)

The early model 1.9D spheres have higher gas pressure and larger damper holes and will in fact ride softer than the spheres for the 1.8 16v.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Simon,

That is a most useful piece of information! Thanks! That is going in my bookmarks..

If I can get something the wrong way round, I will :oops: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Ooh, very helpful, thanks!

I can see why the hatch rear spheres won't be any good for the estate now. Smaller diameter bore and lower pressure - will surely lead to bottoming out!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

LeeDJC wrote:Ooh, very helpful, thanks!

I can see why the hatch rear spheres won't be any good for the estate now. Smaller diameter bore and lower pressure - will surely lead to bottoming out!
That didn't stop the lads at Luton GSF giving my dad hatchback spheres for my estate as they'd be "better" at carrying load...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Xac wrote:
LeeDJC wrote:Ooh, very helpful, thanks!

That didn't stop the lads at Luton GSF giving my dad hatchback spheres for my estate as they'd be "better" at carrying load...
Whoops!

Is that what happened then?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

LeeDJC wrote: Whoops!

Is that what happened then?
It's what happens when you send someone else to get the spheres you're after.
My 1.9TD estate has hydractive sphere's on the rear (it's a non-hydractive car) given to me by the local factors after I asked for non-hydractive ones.
So I sent dad off to GSF to get the right ones, and they talked him into using hatchback spheres.
I reckon it's because they didn't have estate ones in stock and they were trying to be helpful.
Anyway, long story short, 1.9TD went out of action, bought 2.1TD estate, and swapped hatchback rear spheres for anti-sink and acc for the 2.1TD (although I think the acc is flat although the reg doesn't tick that frequently, the car sinks when you switch off and get out, and it doesn't pass the boot test).
Hydractive spheres on the rear of the 1.9 don't seem to affect load carrying or handling properties, the rear just has no spring.
You can push the back all the way down, and it will stay there until the height corrector kicks in and brings it back up.
Another job I have to do before I can sell the 1.9

DIY sphere tool
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

So what does it drive like with the hatch spheres on? If the only problem is that it drops and has no "spring" I'm tempted to temporarily put my good hatch ones on until I buy a new set.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

LeeDJC wrote:So what does it drive like with the hatch spheres on? If the only problem is that it drops and has no "spring" I'm tempted to temporarily put my good hatch ones on until I buy a new set.
Don't know, as I said, I swapped the hatch back spheres for an anti-sink and an accumulator for my 2.1TD.
From what the GSF guys told my dad, it would give a harder ride.

DIY sphere tool
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Xac wrote:
LeeDJC wrote:So what does it drive like with the hatch spheres on? If the only problem is that it drops and has no "spring" I'm tempted to temporarily put my good hatch ones on until I buy a new set.
Don't know, as I said, I swapped the hatch back spheres for an anti-sink and an accumulator for my 2.1TD.
From what the GSF guys told my dad, it would give a harder ride.
Whoops, didn't read your post properly, sorry!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I mentioned on here what GSF said before I did anything with the h/b spheres and the resounding response was to get the right spheres, especially as h/b would give an estate suspension less travel.
They're only £40 a pair from GSF.
Don't you have a spare kidney/wife you could sell? :D

DIY sphere tool
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I've got a spare kidney, but only the one wife. I don't think she'd appreciate me selling her or my kidney!

The spheres aren't too bad, I was thinking that I could get away with a temporary cheap fix.

I'll hang on and do it properly a bit later on!