The est(hate)!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Clogzz wrote:
citrojim wrote:I'll hand over to Cloggz here :lol:
Thanks Jim, :lol:

The Bitron is often under the headlight, the other place is in the under-bonnet fuse box.
One fan running fast all the time is probably a sticking relay behind the grill, unless the taxi got a bodgie to make up for another fan fault.
You can experiment by removing the fan fuses in turn to see what happens.

When switching on the air conditioner, both fans must go to slow speed, irrespective of the state of the air conditioning system, because they also have to operate when the engine gets hot in traffic … something to watch before it looks like £££.

Image Image Image

This link explains the fan operation:

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm

More maps and pictures in this bucket:

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/Clogzz/
When I turn on the A/C the left hand fan still runs at 100%. I didn't get chance to swap the fuses around tonight, but will give it a go tomorrow.
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I've just had a chance to study the maps.

Would I be right in saying that the change over relay stuck to feed pin 5 (or in "earth mode") would cause this left fan only, full speed problem?

As with the change over relay in this state the left hand fan only is getting the whole 12v, instead of the two fans getting 6v each in series?

I hope that this is the problem, as it seems an easy fix!

But hang on, surely the left fan relay shouldn't be energised when the A/C is turned off? So then the system should be at rest? Perhaps then this relay is stuck also? Or the Bitron is at fault?

Well, it's getting late here. It'll have to wait until tomorrow when I'll have time to check fuses and swop relays!
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Well, looks like I was (sort of) right!

The left hand and change over relay were both in the "on" position, not because they're stuck, but because somebody has wired up a switched feed to pin 1 on both!

The only reasons I can think of for this is:

1. Blown fuse in the passenger compartment
2. Faulty Bitron
3. Faulty connection/wiring somewhere else

Which really could be anything!!

I'll have to remove the added feed to the relays later and then get my meter out to see whats going on, or not as the case may be!
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

With regard to the leak inside the cabin, I'm starting to think that it's a collant leak :(

There is some weeping from the centre console right at the back near the bulkhead.

I haven't had time to investigate further - but it's starting to look like it may be the matrix!
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Don’t know if the Bitron is normally rattling, mine doesn’t, but it may operate like the old voltage regulators that were humming and vibrating.
It’s not all-electronic, it’s too big for that, and may contain a coil and contacts.
Since disconnecting the Bitron stops the fan, it may be that there is a low speed fan fault that also causes only one fan to go at the high speed, as we often read of.
The taxi driver may have disconnected the brown sensor on the thermostat housing.
When all is normal, that causes both fans to spin at the high speed, but if we have a one-sided fault, it can cause the other working fan to spin at the high speed.

Edit: Oops again, :oops: posted this reply without seeing this second page.
Will go over it now and change as needed.
Last edited by Clogzz on 13 Jun 2007, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Thanks for the reply clogzz.

The bitron only rattles if you give it a shake, not while under operation. Which I don't think is a good sign.

Also a live feed has been added to pin 1 on the l/h fan relay and the changeover relay, suggesting that there is a problem somewhere else.

I think the best option is to remove the additional wiring/feed and see what does what from there?
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

I’m making a mess of this topic; I sent my previous post before seeing this second page. :oops:

Pin 1 of the left relay normally has a permanent feed from a 5 Amp fuse indicated as F7 in the fuse box under the dash.
Some models have it as a 5 Amp fuse under the bonnet, or F14 in this map:

The right fan not working will cause loss of low speed when both are in series.
That could be the motor or thick wire from the change-over relay to the right motor, or the earth wire of the motor.
The Bitron is the least likely to be faulty.
This topic must be close to what you have … loss of permanent voltage to pin 1 of the left relay:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=18965
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Thanks very much for the help Clogzz, unfortunately, due to more, very much more pressing faults *dodgy heater matrix*, I'm going to have to put off fixing the cooling fans for the minute. At the moment they are cooling, and that's all I need!

I'll resurrect this thread when I've got the matrix sorted, and then get that sorted too!

Lee
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

By the way, on the upside, I bled the brakes tonight, and they're very much better! ;)