Synergie cam belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

thatfatbloke
My Cars:

Synergie cam belt

Post by thatfatbloke »

I am being quoted anything from £270-£300 (£650 main dealer!!) from various garages to have the cam belt,tensioners and water pump replaced on my Synergie 1.9td. I have been told that it is about a five hour job. However I have found a mechanic that will do it for £200 on his day off.
The mileage is 116000 so can only assume that it has already been done once. There is no mention of it in the service history. Assuming it was changed at about 72000 that would give me another 25-30000 to get it done by - but if it was done at 60000 it must be due to snap shortly!!
I am going to get it done for peace of mind as I am going on holiday in it soon.Has anybody ever suffered a failure - and would it totally destroy the engine if it did let go?
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

It snaps the camshaft, pops its bearing caps off and often bends valves too, get it done and have peace of mind. Tensioners and waterpump are cheap enough if needed and little extra work whilst the thing is apart.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

when the belt snapped on my 1.9TD Xantia, it just broke the cam shaft and caps.
Replaced these, fitted a new belt, and was good as new until one of the nuts on the tensioner popped off and it caused the belt to slide out, chewing it's way through the cam covers, before jamming up against the fuel pump sprocket.
No damage to the cam, replaced the tensioner and used locktite this time!
Engine runs but I need to double check the timing and injectors as I was running it on vegetable oil at the time.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

After 6 years of Xantia TD ownership ( 2 different cars) and having paid garages twice for doing the job I plucked up the courage to do it myself last week. The hardest part was getting the timing belt covers off ! 4 hours later back on the road :lol:

Brian
97 Xantia TD
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

Thatfatbloke,

I had my Synergie 1.9TD cambelt changed last year at Bourne Motors in E/B. I believe it came to £270 incl belt, tensioner & pump. Quality job and excellent service, would recommend them V. highly. Having the job done at a reputable garage also gives you some come-back if something goes wrong whereas an off-duty mechanic may not give you any guarantees.

Gammy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

We bought a BX TZD estate some years ago which looked as though it had been meticulously maintained, at 114k the belt broke, Turned out it was original! I had a spare camshaft and did the job myself but it still cost me about £300.00 by the time I had the head repaired + gaskets, belt etc.

I have done a number of these belt changes now, the first one takes a while but you soon get quicker.