new member, new to citroen, need help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Aaarrrggghhhh!!!!!
Its all gone pete tong!
I thought i had sorted the PR problem, but i now find that, although the leak from the end cup has stopped, it now leaks from the pipe connections on the top of the unit, but only when the engine is stopped ( when running, there is no leak at all!). I have used new seals, coated in LHM before assembly. Is it possible I may have overtightened the unions?
I did do them up very tightly!
Peter
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

They dont need to be tight at all, just nip them up :oops: you may have damaged the seals. good job theyre cheap :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Thanks Stewart.
I bought an extra set of seals just in case !!!
I will have another go and this time I will be more careful!
Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's one of those things where what you would naturally think and what happens is totally at odds. It seems totally right and logical that a pipe carrying some 170 bars of pressure needs to be tight.

In fact, how the seals work is they expand under the pressure of the LHM and thus seal very tightly. The higher the pressure, the more better they seal. You have seen this happening when they leak when the engine is stopped but seal when it is running.

Sphere seals work in the same way.

It's a bit like plumbing and compression fittings. Nip them up lightly and if they leak, nip 'em up a little more.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree entirely with what's been said. The correct torque figures are probably below what a normal torque wrench will read - but are in fact the sort of figure you would achieve with a normal length open-ended spanner at a comfortable tightness (ie no danger of it slipping)

A couple of points - its very important that the pipe goes straight into the hole and is not strained or tipped over at an angle and pipes can crack if they are not properly secured. If they crack you get drips at first - then the deluge.

New pipes from Citroen generally aren't expensive and are beautifully bent to fit - they really are a work of art!
jeremy
Quackers
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 3.0 V6 Exclusive + Navi
2009 Citroen C6 2.7 V6 Exclusive + Lounge Pack
2007 Citroen C5 2.2 (173) Exclusive + Navi
2000 Citroen Xantia Activa

Re: new member, new to citroen, need help!

Post by Quackers »

pete the bus wrote: But despite all this...I LIKE THE CAR!!!
Try the Activa model Xantia :lol: Now that is a love hate relationship! But handles like no other car on earth, o god its orgasmic when it corners......
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Quackers wrote:
Try the Activa model Xantia :lol: Now that is a love hate relationship! But handles like no other car on earth, o god its orgasmic when it corners......
I wondered why you were making those noises on the way to Northampton yesterday Jim!
Last edited by Xaccers on 10 Jun 2007, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:
Quackers wrote:
I wondered why you were making those noises on the way to Northampton yesterday!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Quackers, you never made a truer statement about Activas and a love-hate relationship :twisted: :lol: It's all worth it though!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Pete,
When you was refitting the pressure pipes, did you check the there was no seals left in the part where the pipes go in?
Its easily done and would even tighten up as though the new seals were ok.
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

I have'nt been able to do anything with the car this weekend, as I've been partying :D .
I did remove the old seals and cleaned the 2nd hand PR thoroughly before fitting. Hopefully it's a case of overtightening and can be easily rectified. Will have a look tomorrow.
One new thing to add to the list of problems :( - its now developed an oil leak. Haven't had chance to find out where from - (possibly the rocker cover. Is this a common problem?)
Peter
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Rocker covers are common, sometimes tightening the bolts helps otherwise its a new gasket too.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

UPDATE:

Re-seated pipes and seals on the PR. No more leaks, engine running or not-running :)
Put it in for an MOT - and PASSED :D :D :D
3 advisorys though - steering column top bearing slightly worn
offside front (rack knuckle) ball joint has slight play
oil leak
Not too bad!

2 things to do 1st though, 1. new anti-sink sphere
2. Adjust the clutch ( there is no play whatsoever, and occasionally it slips slightly. I am hoping it is out of adjustment, and not the clutch wearing!. Any help on how to adjust the clutch, as I cant see any adjusting points under the bonnet!)
Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A '98 car should have a self adjusting clutch cable. Try pushing it to the floor then letting it bang up - this may wake up the adjuster. However, the TD uses a pull clutch, and as it wears the bite point comes up. I suspect that you will find that the clutch is worn out :cry:
Richard W
pete the bus
My Cars:

Post by pete the bus »

Thanks for that, Richard.
I will have a go at "wakin up" the adjuster like you suggest. Otherwise, it's gonna have to be a case of driving like a granny for the next few months until I can afford to get the clutch done :(
Peter