Spare keys...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fishtales
My Cars:

Spare keys...

Post by Fishtales »

Me again.

With my 2002 Xsara I got two keys, the one with the remote and the plain one. My wife and I both carry a key but I like to keep another spare at home just in case. I have seen spare keys available on eBay (with transponder) if I get one of these is it possible to match the key transponder to the car?

The cars manual says something about a code card so that a dealer can do this, I did not get one with the car, is this a major problem (or just an excuse for Citroen to make my wallet lighter)?

Regards.
His: 2002 XSARA 1.4LX
Hers: 1998 1.4ZX
Had: 1992 1.4 ZX 156000 miles and still going strong.
BX Athena 1.6
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Usually it works the other way round :

The in-car receiver adapts to the key code transmitted. Because there is no room and power available for elaborate data processing in the transponder key. Also it would not be fair to owners if another nearby PSA owner was fiddling with a key code - and your key responded silently ...

This in turn means, that you GOT to have all 3 transponder keys with the same code. if not, the key not similar to the others would require a reprogramming of the receiver, and then the 2 other transponder keys do not work.

No its not just an excuse for Citroen to make your wallet lighter. It is in fact an attempt to secure your car better against theft - and thus in turn keep down your insurance rates ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

AndersDK wrote:
This in turn means, that you GOT to have all 3 transponder keys with the same code. if not, the key not similar to the others would require a reprogramming of the receiver, and then the 2 other transponder keys do not work.
That's not true.

The RF type can be paired with two keys, the keys don't have to have the same code.