HDI 90 - temp gauge problem?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mad Ax
My Cars:

HDI 90 - temp gauge problem?

Post by Mad Ax »

After almost 2 weeks of Xsara ownership, I've noticed a slight strangeness in the temp gauege.

I live atop a very steep and narrow hill in a quant little countrified area*, and while ascending said hill with a warm engine (having driven 15 miles from Bath) the temp gauge decided that the engine was completely cold. I didn't actually see it drop, so don't know if it was sudden or gradual. Back on the flat the gauge shot back up to normal temp again very quickly - so I'm guessing electrical, rather than thermostat.

Since then I've paid very close attention to it. This morning it took almost 6 miles (of up, down, and flat running) before the gauge began to register normal temp. My searches here have shown HDIs can take a while to warm up, but 6 miles seems excessive- maybe the gauge was being dodgy again, or maybe it's normal.

I checked the water this morning and it was about an inch below the flat line in the expansion tank. I don't know where the level is supposed to be as I don't have a manual yet. Does the HDI have a special method for filling and bleeding the cooling system like the XUD, or do I just pour water in until it covers that flat line thing? I'm sure there was more water in it 700 miles ago when I got it...

What say you, o peeps of frenchcarforum? Is there a common fault with HDI gauges being dodgy (like [insert in-car electrical system here] on older citroens) or is this indicative of something like a HG failure (i.e. bubbles getting in cooling system and causing the sender to read 0) ?

*I could start a story like this, couldn't I?
Owner of The Blue Racer - a slow and dull 2000 Xsara HDI Estate SX in boring blue
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Without a doubt, Citroen electrics :twisted: My gauge plays much the same silliness and because I understand it, I'm in no rush to fix it.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mad Ax
My Cars:

Post by Mad Ax »

that's cool - it's wierd that the 'rents never reported the same problem prior to donating the car to me, as well as never complaining about the stiff clutch, the useless brakes, the handbrake that doesn't, the blowing exhaust, or the wierd clattering sound when accelerating on a cold engine...

I thought I was getting a fully-functional car, turns out it's got almost as many faults as the one I just got rid of!! :D
Owner of The Blue Racer - a slow and dull 2000 Xsara HDI Estate SX in boring blue
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

6 miles is about normal.
My journey to work is 5 miles, if its a hot day, the aircons on and I thrash the knackers off the engine, the temp gauge is just at normal by the time I get there. In winter it barely moves off cold on the same journey.