Xantia HDi fuel leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Xantia HDi fuel leak

Post by lolingram »

My 2.0 HDi leaks fuel when filled full only, from around the access ring at the top of the tank (pump etc.)... is there a replaceable seal for this? Does the ring just unscrew?

Help required please - thanks.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
howiedean
My Cars:

Re: Xantia HDi fuel leak

Post by howiedean »

lolingram wrote:My 2.0 HDi leaks fuel when filled full only, from around the access ring at the top of the tank (pump etc.)... is there a replaceable seal for this? Does the ring just unscrew?

Help required please - thanks.
The ring does unscrew and you will be able to get a replacement from Citroen. It might be that the seal is not seated correctly as it is easy to move the seal whilst tightening up the ring.
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are you really sure that the fuel is coming from the access ring? I ask this having changed one on our ZX only to find there was a vent pipe which was just visible if I used a mirror - and when I removed it - had split on the side hidden from view!
jeremy
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

When you are doing that job, check inside the Tank, and strainers, for any water, dirt, or fungi (if it's diesel). You might be lucky and find a top for your tank in a scrapyard - I did, but they cannot be too expensive even from Citroen.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I thought that some of you guys would be interested in the sequal to the fuel tank leak on my Xantia HDi estate...

Upon removing the large (5") threaded clamp ring on top of the tank (under rear seat), it became clear that in the past the lift pump had been changed, and the green 'O' ring had not been re-seated correctly, resulting in fuel leakage - especially when the tank was full.

However.... to re-fit the pump/float assy into the tank ensuring that the 'O' ring is properly located seems a pretty imposiible task, since the 'O' ring is slightly smaller in diameter than the raised shoulder register on the tank top, added to the fact that the clamp ring thread is not exactly an easy screw-on job - more like an interference fit, and easy to cross thread (which someone had manged to do). Fortunately, a new 'O' ring and clamping ring cost only €10 Euros!

After taking the thing on and off more often than a whore's drawers, I have found the only way to ensure that the 'O' ring can be placed securely and be leakproof, is to de-grease it all with meths, and stick the 'O' ring in place onto the tank with Super Glue. The clamp ring has to be finally tightened with a drift and hammer...

Now Alles Gutes, but a real PITA.
The ring does unscrew and you will be able to get a replacement from Citroen. It might be that the seal is not seated correctly as it is easy to move the seal whilst tightening up the ring.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj