Possessed Xsara rear wiper freaking me out!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

200sx

Possessed Xsara rear wiper freaking me out!

Post by 200sx »

Hello all.

I've just come across this forum and what a knowledgable bunch you are!

I really hope you can help me to diagnose this weird problem I'm having with the rear wiper on my 2001 Xsara estate.

Around three months ago I engaged the rear wiper, thought nothing of it until I stopped the car to find the wiper stuck half way. I re-engaged the wiper to find it moved really slowly, around half the speed it should, it once again stopped at a random point. A couple more attempts and the wiper died altogether. It would 'semi-work' again if left for a day or two. At this point I decided to leave it until funds permitted a visit to the dealer, it wasn't detrimental to the running of the car afterall.

The problem progressed to the point of opening the boot (whether using the manual solenoid or the key fob) would cause the wiper would move an inch at a time, with each further press further one nothc through it's complete cycle!!! If the ignition was moved to position one then the wiper would reset to it's correct bottom position. Weird eh?

Another strange symptom is when I switch on side lights/main beam, the wiper balde will start moving at half it's speed only for it to randomly stop short of a complete cycle. If I immediately disengage the lights as the wiper starts to move, it moves at full speed and stops after one/two complete cycles.

Has anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?
deian

Post by deian »

It honestly sounds like dodgy connections at the stalks, maybe a connector wasn't seated in properly.

If you feel up to the task of taking the cover off from behind the steering wheel, then maybe you will find the problem, a quick look should give u the obvious culrpit... of course if you can't take the cover of the steering wheel off without the having to take the steering wheel itself off and you have an airbag then be careful... you can either leave it to the dealers, or be very careful by disconnecting the battery and watch what connections/cables you move (i.e airbag related). Of course, it's a good idea to disconnect the battery anyway if playing with electrical stuff.

Good luck.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'm assuming that your car or at least the tailgate components are conventionally wired and not part of a multiplex system.

If multiple components in the same area are affected and partially function a good starting point is the earth system. Other Citroens have earth points (to the bodywork) in the rear lights (maybe both - more components on the nearside one) and I'd have a good look at them first then check the earth on the rear door components.

I'd also look at all connector plugs and make sure they are clean and secure.
jeremy
200sx

Post by 200sx »

Given the symptoms, my first thought was a bad earth. But what earth links the:

rear wiper
rear lights
boot release

the rear wiper and boot release are both part of the tailgate/boot lid and the lights are part of the boot?

Could it be the tailgate hinges that link the two?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

On a BX I think the rear wiper and tailgate lock earth in the nearside back light unit. The tailgate is probably plastic and practice seems to be that they use the light unit as a junction. ZX is probably similar.

I did have a haunted rear wiper on our ZX which I thought was something to do with an after market immobiliser upsetting things but it cured itself and I can't recall it happening for the last year or so. I have now removed the immobiliser which was only connected into the ignition switch wiring and to be honest haven't given it much thought.
jeremy
200sx

Post by 200sx »

I think I may have made some inadvertant progress.

I've removed all the interirio trim from the boot.

I've located the earth points, 2 in the offside d-pillar. I've cleaned and reseated them.

I've only just noticed another symptom. When releasing the boot, whether using the solenoid or the keyfob, not only does the wiper move an inch or so but the left number plate light flicks on for a second!!!

I've traced the loom back and it links the rear wiper mechanism, the boot latch, the solenoid and the left number plate light.

Any ideas?
200sx

Post by 200sx »

Thanks for your help gents, I think I've found the answer!

http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/citroe ... t2139.html