Xantia Heater Blower Strangeness

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samtronic
My Cars:

Xantia Heater Blower Strangeness

Post by samtronic »

Hi,

some time ago I began having problems with the heater blower in my Xantia (with Aircon, without climate control).
Sometimes the blower wouldn't start and I thought: The ignition switch problem.
Then I installed a relay, which probably was a good idea, but didn't fix the problem.
I discovered that I usually could get it going by hitting it and thought: Worn brushes.

Well, today I took the fan out and was a bit surprised by the connection to it: From a square 4 pin (2-by-2) plug on the loom was 4 wires with spade plugs connected to a 4 pin inline connector on the blower. I was a bit more surprised to see that there was no resistor pack, but a bit of electronics in the blower housing.
I didn't think that the transistorised blower was used with the normal 5 step fan speed switch.

I disassembled the blower and yes, the brushes were very worn, but after a bit of cleaning the blower worked again.

Though one thing strikes me as odd: Even on the lowest speed setting (off) the blower is running at a slow pace.

And finally a couple of questions:

Should the blower run even with the speed selector set to lowest (off)?

And where can I get a pair of brushes (8x9mm, 15-20mm long) at a reasonable price (Denmark preferred)?

Regards,
Søren A.M.
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

For brushes, look on ebay, just type in 'carbon brushes' (or whatever that is in Danish) There is a chap advertising brushes for power tools, if you give him the dimensions of yours, he may be able to help.

If the motor has the usual two transistor system, the heater control is probably just being used to alter the bias on the transistors, which means it doesn't have to carry a lot of current and thus makes it more reliable. The usual cause of intermittent operation is faulty transistors.
tomthered
My Cars:

Post by tomthered »

I had a similar intermittent problem and a mechanic friend went straight to it. Try underneath the glovebox there is a wiring connection, push that in firmly. also check the wiring to the fan. Mine was bed connections.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

...or even bad connections... :)
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Bed connections are definitely to be preferred...
...or even bad connections...
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj