Xantia 2.0 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomthered
My Cars:

Xantia 2.0 HDI

Post by tomthered »

Was thinking of going for one of these. Are they worth having over the standard 1.9 TD?

cheers
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

That's good timing, my 1.9D is going next week, and I was thinking to replace with a HDi estate, but is the complexity worth it, or is it just worth sticking to the ol' trusty TD?
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Depends as to whether it's a 90 or 110 HDi. The 110 is higher geared which I found makes it feel a little under powered for town driving but it cruises at 70 at just about 2000rpm. The gearbox on my 110 is much nicer too as is the clutch.

Steve.
not applicable
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

I used to have a 110Hdi Xantia, which I thought was a big improvement over the old TD-after I had it worked on by Van Aaken it was real flying machine too :D
dexy350
My Cars:

Post by dexy350 »

well i had a 1.9 td estate now i have a 2hdi 110 model,
must agree pick up is slower but once it gets going it goes i have to watch me speed ,fuel comsumption hell what a difference 37 for td 48 for thehdi
i wish i bought one earlier would have saved me a fortune in fuel alone
cheers
neil
Dexy
C5 2.2 HDI SX 02
C5 2hdi exclusive est 06
C5 2hdi exclusive 09
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Course if HMRC bring in their plans regarding SVO, you'll be quids in with a 1.9TD and bosch pump as you won't need to pay duty on any veg oil you pour into the tank.

Not sure how much refined biodiesel the HDi can handle. It certainly won't be able to run on straight veg oil.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Xac wrote:Course if HMRC bring in their plans regarding SVO, you'll be quids in with a 1.9TD and bosch pump as you won't need to pay duty on any veg oil you pour into the tank.

Not sure how much refined biodiesel the HDi can handle. It certainly won't be able to run on straight veg oil.
I must have missed that one from HMRC, but cannot really believe that the nice Gordon will allow it. He's grabbing every penny elsewhere.

As I understand it, the problem with SVO and the HDi engine is down to the higher viscosity of SVO. The pressures get too high and all the alarm bells go off. Certainly small amounts of SVO are OK.
Brian.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

It's costing HMRC too much to process all the small duty payments for veg users, so they're thinking about dropping the need for users of less than 2500ltrs a year.
There's also the court case against them regarding breaching their Kyoto agreement by making SVO more expensive than dino thanks to the duty.
Direct injections do not like SVO, some of them don't even like biodiesel.
Major step backwards if you ask me, especially considering some of the appauling mpg figures some people have mentioned from C5's!

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thats why my 2.1td and the coupe are going for sale as son as i find a nice cheap 1.9td shed to get me about untill i find a superb 1.9td phase II as i have seen em knocking about on anything upto an V plate in the flesh so all the goodies can be found for them and dead easy to work on as well i have found bar the odd glowplug and no auxillary heater in the wing to worry about either, just chuck the SVO in and away you go and for my work mileage it would make me very happy :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You would be better of with the 2.1 td, a more efficient engine than the 1.9 and bio fuel tolerance.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Not sure what planet your on but the 2.1td in a xantia will not like bio as much as a q.otd due to the thicker viscosity of the liquid and the pump shaft clearances.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My XM has an almost identical pump and injectors to the Xantia, after all the 2.1 is still an XUD IDI engine.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Peter.N. wrote:My XM has an almost identical pump and injectors to the Xantia, after all the 2.1 is still an XUD IDI engine.
Didn't yours have bosch pumps though rather than Lucas Epics? (you lucky thing you)

DIY sphere tool
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yes they do, but dont the earlier Xantias? The XM didn't have the EPIC pump until after '96, but apart from the fact that they are electronically controlled, there basically the same pump - only more reliable!
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Earlier Xantias didn't have the 2.1TD engine though, not until about 1997. By the time the 2.1 was fitted to the Xantia it had the Lucas Epic pump.