xantia estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mugatea

Post by mugatea »

XM. God, that car had passed me by, never even heard of 'em till now. I see they look just like Xantias. Are they the prequal to the xantia or a different class?

Jamie
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Jamie.

The Xm IS VERY MUCH a bigger Granada size being the Xantia's big
brother with many shared aspects, not least of which it's general
appearance (IMHO it's road presence is FAR higher) and many engines.
It was "replaced" rather half heartedly by the C5 as that was primarily
the Xantias replacement. It's only now being viewed by some motoring
journos as being replaced properly by the new C6.

Your budget would get you a very smart late series diesel saloon or the
cavernous estate which manages to swallow whole counties!!

Just stay clear of autoboxes - BAD NEWS and not worth volunteering for
unless you've got an adventurous attitude with your wallet!! :wink:

check out:

http://club-xm.com/forum2/index.php?act=idx

piccies to follow if I find anything useful!!

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 26 May 2007, 00:27, edited 2 times in total.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Oh you've made me look on Ebay now!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-CITROEN-XM-V ... dZViewItem

I'm just drooling over that one.
The larger boot than my Xantia estate would be perfect for all my gear, and a tow bar too!
Anyone want to donate me £4000?
Last edited by Xaccers on 25 May 2007, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Here's a rare bird on AutoTrader - 2.5TD ESTATES ARE VERY MUCH SOUGHT AFTER plus it's a good colour too:

1996 CITROEN XM 2.5 TD VSX 5dr Turbo Diesel Estate

Price:
£1,295 ono.

Features:

* 145,000 miles
* Manual
* BLUE
* Diesel
* 5 Door Estate
* P reg (1996)

Full Description:

Manual, 145,000 miles, 6 m.tax,mot march 08,air-con,e/mirror,e/windows,e/sunroof,cruise control,cent.lockong,airbag. £1,295. ono
What is Telesafe?
Private Seller:

Contact number: 07041 337858 or 07041 384703

Sounds right on the money where you are and it's the top choice of all the
best estates around after my favorite, it's predecessor, the CX!!

Andrew
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

or you could buy this petrol one for a lot less dosh to sample XM motoring at the cheaper end first with this one on AutoTrader too:

And take no notice of the screen price!!

1998 R Reg CITROEN XM 2.0i SX ESTATE 5dr
5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, Metallic DARK BOTTLE GREEN, MOT-11-2007, 2 Owners. great condition, PHONE 01162668345 FIRST, TAXED AND TESTED READY TO GO, ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Anti theft system, CD, Central locking, Child locks, Cloth upholstery, Colour coding - Body, Colour coding - Interior, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Electric sunroof, Front armrest, Full service history, Folding rear seats, Heated screen, Immobiliser, Metallic paintwork, Multi function steering wheel, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Radio, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Roof rails, Radio/Cassette, Spoiler, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Sunroof, Towbar, Traction control, Wood/wood effect trim. PLEASE CALL 0116 2668345 THIS CAR IS AT : ADDRESS IS 391 ABBEY LANE LEICESTER LE4 5QJ SITE FOR VIEWING £495.

Tel: 01162 390347
Distance: 143 miles
Price: £495

We are a family run business with over 15 years experience in the motor trade.We offer quality vehicles at affordable prices. With a high turnover we can work on low margins giving customers the savings. We can arrange no-deposit finance and offer all usual dealer facilities.
Links: Buyer

To be fair, you can't really get more CAR <<edit>> for the money!!
Now I've confused things!! Just worth keeping your options open
before committing to a Xantia estate!! :D

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 25 May 2007, 23:39, edited 2 times in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have been running XMs for over ten years now and in my opinion there is no other car on the market, past or present, that give the combination of ride quality, comfort, space and economy (diesel manual).

All of my cars have been 2.1 td manual estates, the Mk2 version (Aug '94 on) are much more reliable than the Mk 1's, although manual td mk 2's are difficult to find as they didn't sell many, only 61 in '96 and I have had three of them and currently own two.

I was a TV engineer before I retired and could get three 28" tube type TVs in the back with the seat up!. In addition to all this space and comfort they can achieve in excess of 50 mpg driven sensibly and mine regularly does.

The down side is really the same as with the Xantia, they are not very easy to work on, especially the 2.5 td and can be expensive to repair, but probably still cheaper than some new cars! The last one I sold had covered 292 K miles with the original engine and was still driving well, but as you would expect, had a few faults.

I am in a position now that I could afford a later car, but I cant find one that I would prefer to the XM, and I have just bought one, for a very reasonable price, £599.00 to be exact with a new engine fitted. It did need some attention but was perfectly drivable, I have now fixed most of the problems and my son is using it for his main transport.

What more can I say?
mugatea

Post by mugatea »

Wow, I'm defo wanting one now. They seem quite rare tho - autotrader doesnt have any within 100 miles.

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.

Jamie
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Xm's are getting almost too cheap for Auto Trader - keep an eye on either this forum, or ebay. We're such a friendly lot that if there's one on ebay, you could always ask one of us to go and have a look at it for you if its not that local to you...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Adtrader is another source of XMs. You will have to be prepared to travel, I have bought most of mine 200 miles or so away.

Head gasket problems are probably the worst you will find, and although they are do able, they are not easy. I did mine a couple of years ago and have covered about 40 k since, virtually trouble free. The usually fail at about 150k but once done will last another 150k. The symptoms are a lot of pressure in the cooling system and expulsion of water through the header tank overflow or the cap itself. Check that there is antifreeze, dip your finger in the water and tast, it should be sweet. If there isn't any it could indicate that the water is being blown out, and lack of adequate antifreeze can also cause gasket failure.