2.1 xantia front brake sticking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rongee68

2.1 xantia front brake sticking

Post by rongee68 »

r reg 2.1 diesel xantia (essex). off side front piston in caliper is sticking, as you have to turn the piston as you push it in its not as easy to get it back in. does anyone have any idea's how to free it up (its binding)
thanks ron
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Remove, clean and overhaul the caliper. But do both sides to maintain evenly braking.
Its a quite simple job.
Use the red (or white) brakes service grease when re-assembling the bits. Available in small bags at low cost all places selling car parts.

Better still : purchase a complete recon caliper set (comes with new pads and fitting bits) and turn in your old untouced cailper set for refund.

Note :
Before re-fitting calipers, ensure the hub surfaces taking the ends of the slide bushes are absolutely square and aligned. If not the slide bushes will tilt and then lock the caliper body unable to move when caliper bolts are torqued. Cleaning is done by sliding a file squarely over both mounting holes to clean up the bush mating surfaces. Use a scale's edge to check the surface really is square.
This simple cleaning procedure will always correct any strange braking behaviour with un-even brake pads wear - caused by mysteriously sticking calipers.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
rongee68

sticking caliper on 2.1 Citroen

Post by rongee68 »

thanks for your advice, how do the pistons in the caliper work? as they have to be turned as they are pushed in. i asume they are turned clockwise. can you turn them a few times then push them in a bit or do you have to turn and push at the same time? what do you clean piston with? meths?
thanks ron
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Inside the piston is a big threaded screw with a spring around it, which is what you rotate the piston up to re-seat.
The screw is your hand brake.
When you pull the handbrake lever, it depresses the screw which pushes the piston against the disc.
The spring lets the piston move slightly off the disc when the handbrake is released.
There is enough lhm pressure behind the piston when you press the brakes to slowly spin the piston down the screw as the brake pads wear.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
rongee68

Post by rongee68 »

thanks xac, going to pull it to bits shortly and give it a clean up
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Whatever you do, don't pull out the lever that the handbrake cable goes into!
It's a 3 man job (interesting though it is) to put it all back together.
TehAgent did it by mistake, which is how come we know what's inside the caliper :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:!
It's a 3 man job (interesting though it is) to put it all back together.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I was that third man :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...