Swapping wheels

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Swapping wheels

Post by Xaccers »

During my weekly tyre check, I noticed that there's a worrying bulge from the tyre wall on the passenger side front.
They're Avon 205/60R15V's on activa alloys
Going to see if I can get some reasonably priced replacement tyres for the front as they're down to just over 2.6mm of tread if the guides are anything to go by.
If I can't, then I have my other estate with practically brand new tyres on steel wheels.
Could I just swap over the wheels for 2 weeks til pay day?
I've got a long motorway journey on Saturday, so I don't want to be running either on the bulging tyre or the spare.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I see no problem for temporary use but swap them all if you can. It is not a good idea to have mixed sizes on a vehicle.

The only thing to consider is space for the front calipers with the alternative wheels fitted. I think, like the Activa, the 2.1TD has the big disks and calipers (they look massive!). Worth a check to ensure nothingh fouls.

Are Cassie's wheels Alloy or steel?

If you really don't want to swap all, it might be OK just to swap the fronts. It is imperative that whatever you do, the best tyres go on the rear. This sounds a bit strange on a FWD car by it is so. The only possibility is that the ABS might get confused with two different sets of rolling diamaters.

You'll have a PM in a bit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well F1 are ordering two new tyres for me to fit tomorrow, for about £100 which I can just stretch to.
They did a fantastic job on my tracking Jim, thanks for mentioning them (although I went to the one in Bletchley).

DIY sphere tool
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Agree totally with what Jim says.

BTW; Why not use each cars' spare on the same axle until your pay comes
in; IF they match that is. No money spent and bulging tyre as emergency
spare!

Andrew
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

andmcit wrote:Agree totally with what Jim says.

BTW; Why not use each cars' spare on the same axle until your pay comes
in; IF they match that is. No money spent and bulging tyre as emergency
spare!

Andrew
I have a feeling that the spares are slightly undersized.
I've got a 200 mile round trip to do on Saturday, and I'd rather not be driving on spares.

Going to see about swapping the wheels, then get some non-budget new ones after pay day.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Right, faulty wheel is 205/60R15V
Other car's wheels are 185/65R15H

According to http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html that's just under 1% difference which should be ok.

Incidently, those speed ratings are on the high side (130MPH+) and the car doesn't even get to 100, so do I really need V or H or would an R or S do?

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

They'll be fine so long as there are no fouling problems.

An S speed rating is OK as S I believe is up to 113MPH and you're not going to do that when NSL is 70MPH are you :wink: However, seriously, you must use tyres of a speed rating that exceeds the maximum potential top speed of the car. To not do so may be technically illegal and result in an MOT fail.

The speed ratings do offer a margin of safety though and I think in the tyre sizes used on the 2.1 only high speed ratings are available.

The 2.1 needs V rated as it has a potential top speed of 130MPH or so. Do the calculations!!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...