Xantia 1.9 TD normal idle speed?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

tomthered wrote:How do you get a diesel to run on veggie oil, anyone got any info please?
Originally, diesels were built to run on veg oil (penut oil etc).
If you've got a 1.9TD with a bosch pump, then basically you pour vegetable oil (SVO straight vegetable oil) in the fuel tank.
I ran mine at 100% during the summer, and about 40% in the winter, but it's a real trial and error thing to get the mix to what's liked by your car.
Mine drove better on veg, seemed to have more oomph, but that may have been due to the redex I'd add to every tank, or a sign of how bad Tesco diesel is.
You can get various inline heaters etc which warm the SVO making it easier on the pump/fuel sender, or if you've got the cash and time, you can install a second tank for diesel, start the car on that, switch to the main tank of SVO, then switch back before you reach your destination.
Don't forget, to be legal you have to register with HMRC and pay your 46.9ppl duty! I don't think they've brought in the exemption for users of less than 2500l a year yet. So it will be more expensive than most diesel (gotta love this governments commitment to green fuels - not!)
If you have a source of WVO (waste/used vegetable oil) then to use it you will have to refine it to biodiesel using some nasty chemicals, but on the plus side, the duty is only 26.9ppl
Using just 10% SVO meets your personal Kyoto commitments to reducing CO2 levels.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool