Xantia Aerials

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Xantia Aerials

Post by deian »

Hi again,

My radio isn't getting a good signal, this is obviously due to damage on the aerial near where it screws on, you can see the top of the screw where the plastic has crawled up, probably damage due to oxidization.

Anyway, is it possible to buy another aerial from halfrauds that will screw into the same hole? Or does it have to be a proper one for the xantia, if so i will pop to the scrap yard.

Deian
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The standard Citroen antennas fitted on the front roofs are not expensive as genuine parts. You get the the antenna and foot as separate parts. No need to mess around with corroded secondhand parts for the sake of economy ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

I didn't have a great reception either with the short Xantia antenna (the one with the rubber bit near the bottom). The rubber had crawled up exposing the braid underneath. I swapped it for a longer ZX one I had lying around - it improved things no end, and there's no rubber to worry about... 8)
ImageImage
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Some Xantias have an amplified antenna, and if the amplifier fails, the reception is very poor.

I don't know which cars had the amplified antennas, but both my mk1 Xantias with Blaupunkt stereos had them, but I saw a couple of mk1s with other stereos did not.

If the antenna is amplified, when you look at the underneath of the antenna inside the car, you will see a metal cylinder, about 25mm diameter, otherwise you will just see an 8mm nut holding the antenna.

The amplifier fitted to the mk1 has a separate feed wire, the amplifier fitted to the mk2 gets its power through the coax cable.

If you have an amplifier that you suspect is faulty, prise out the lid of the cylinder, and undo the 8mm nut inside, then pull the antenna base from the roof of the car, and then manouvre the amplifier down, bringing the cables with it. The feed connector (if present) pulls off. The coax connector pops off the top of the amplifier.

You can then remount the roof antenna, just putting the coax connector under the nut (it must go the right way up), and leaving the amplifier off. If reception is better than with the amplifer, then the amplifier was faulty.

I have repaired a faulty amplifier by changing the transistors, but it would be easier to pick up another at the breakers.
deian

Post by deian »

I don't think it has the amplifier, it's a standard co-ax to the back of the radio, when i put my hand around the aerial it works fine. I will check on the service citroen site
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

My SX has the can but no amplifier. I agree that the stubby standard aerial isn't much use. Both of mine were replaced by the long version. Mine came from Renaults but pretty much all French cars of the era have the same fitting. You leave the cable in place , just take off the 8mm nut. It's a slight fiddle to get to on the Xantia, I think the sunvisors have to come off. It makes sense to choose a donor car with good access if you can.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

GSF do a standard replacement for most Citroens for not very much money, I have recently fitted one to my XM and its fine.
deian

Post by deian »

Can I ask what the part number was?

It's just the actual aerial itself to screw in that i need.
nurkov
My Cars:

Post by nurkov »

Hope that will help :)

Citroen Xantia Break 2.0T Exclusive 1999
Citroen Xsara 1.4i West Coast 1999
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

6561 97 - antenna wire
is the actual 420mm long antenna rod and is pricetagged approx £10 at Citroen.

GSF stock :
89220 ROOF AERIAL UNIVERSAL 8.25
89225 ROOF AERIAL UNIVERSAL "BEE STING" ROOF AERIAL AMPLIFIED 13.25
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
deian

Post by deian »

thank you all so much for help and input on this basic issue, i'm now settled and happy