ZX Starter motor/solenoid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UserError
My Cars:

ZX Starter motor/solenoid

Post by UserError »

Hello,
ZX1.4i (1993) suddenly wouldn't start. Solenoid clicks I think, and starter can be made to try to engage occasionally(by pushing the car in gear). Battery is reasonable - been charged overnight and the headlamps are good and don't dim when the starter switch operated, but the instrument lights go out - what does this tell me?

Can't play around with the electrics tonight as it is peeing down, drive is too puddly to lie down & too dark to see SM from above (can you see it from above?)

I've looked at various posts about testing & will do this ASAP. Assuming the unit has had it, has anyone tried AEP (55 inc vat & delivery)? (http://aepworldwide.com/STARTER%20FOR%2 ... %201.4.htm)
They seem to offer a good price, but is it better to splash out 69+vat at GSF for a Valeo one?
Many thanks
Jonathan
If Stupidity got us into this mess, then why can’t it get us out?
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The ZX instrument lights may go out when the starter is operated when everything is well. Can't say I've taken a lot of notice but I think they do on our 1.9D.

If the thing is drawing current then the headlights should dim somewhat when the starter is operating - so if they don't it suggests that the motor isn't drawing much current.

The solenoid may be faulty but its more likely to be the motor. If you want to test it you can try carefully jumping it. On the diesel there is a link connecting the solenoid to the motor - yours may be similar. If you connect a jump lead (or suitable cable) from the battery positive to this link - the motor should run (but not turn the engine as the solenoid puts it into mesh) If it doesn't run then the problem is in the motor.

Starters have 4 brushes - and its common for them to get sticky. They can often be freed with a smart tap with a hammer but will eventually stick again. They can be cleaned if the motor is dismantled or even replaced.

Before you dismantle anything its worth checking the power and earth connections - simply put a jump lead between the battery negative and the engine to check the earth (if starter operates you've found the problem) and the positive and the heavy feed to the starter solenoid for the supply.
jeremy
UserError
My Cars:

ZX not satrting

Post by UserError »

Jeremy thanks for your ultra-quick response!

I read your replies to the "ZX ignition switch problem" post from 2006 & was going to use that as a guide, but hoped the dimming instrument lights would reveal something....ho hum. Will investigate tomorrow if it stops raining.

I wanted to bash, er tap the starter, but couldn't see it, even with a torch - and as I mentioned, I wasn't prepared to lie down in the puddles!

Is it visible from above or does one clobber it from below?

Regards
Jonathan
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Be very careful bashing starter motors, many now have the field magnets glued in, and bashing them has been known to break them free, wrecking the starter.
On a '93, I would go for a problem with the switch contacts, happened to many of that era.
You have to get to the connections on the end of the solenoid to check.
As stated, there are two big cables to the solenoid, one from the battery, and the other to the motor. there is also a smaller cable to a third terminal, this is the activator feed from the ign. switch.
You need to bridge across from the battery terminal to the smaller ign sw terminal. This should make the starter run and turn the engine over.
If you still only get a clunk, then either your battery is not up to it, or you have a bad connection to the battery, or just possibly the starter motor is duff. It could also just be a bad connection in the solenoid.
Check the battery connections, and the earth connection to the gearbox. There will be another to the body too, and if this is OK, but the one to the gearbox is not, the lights will work, but the starter will not.
Brian.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the 1.4 starter is at the rear of the engine and is hard to get to the conections with it in situe,it is also aproached from the top,held in place by 3 13mm bolts one comming through the clutch housing into the starter the other two go through stater into clutch housing,remove air filter housing to gain access
regards malcolm
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I didn't refer to the switch as you said the solenoid could be heard. If you connect to the small contact on the solenoid you will by pass the switch - so if it then works the switch is suspect.

If it is now is the time to install that starter button you've always wanted!

I'm not sure where the starter is on the 1.4. On the diesel its just behind the radiator.
jeremy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

jeremy wrote:I'm not sure where the starter is on the 1.4. On the diesel its just behind the radiator.
On the TU engines (1.0 - 1.6L) the starter is located exactly opposite, i.e. against the firewall in the engine bay. As Malcolm depicts - its simply more fun to mess with the starter on a TU 8)

Also the inlet and exhaust has swapped locations. You wil find the hot exhaust manifold right behind the radiator. Just an 'added feature' when snailing through city traffic on a hot summers day :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

jeremy wrote:If it is now is the time to install that starter button you've always wanted!
I added a relay to the circuit, thus the ign sw only has to energise the relay, the latter switches the current to the starter solenoid.
100% reliable after that.

This was on a diesel engine, where the starter takes a lot more current.
Brian.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The diesel starter may take more current but its solenoid doesn't. The relay may work if its caught in time but mine had started to cut out. I'd temporarily solved that by removing the key ring and using the key alone but was on notice for further trouble.
jeremy
UserError
My Cars:

Starter/solenoid

Post by UserError »

Thanks chaps,
I found the starter motor - much higher up than I was looking, underneath the inlet manifold.

I remade the battery & earth connections which seemed OK anyway, still no joy so I took the starter out - pretty easy- and tested it as suggested above. Both the solenoid & a direct connection to the main terminal operated the motor, so I wire-brushed the terminals (which looked not-too-bad and were tight to undo) and put it back.

It now seems to work OK & has since the weekend. Not sure if it is cured, or if its got a stay of execution. As long as it works...
Cheers
Jonathan
51 Clio 1.2, 01 Avensis