XM Headlights.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doc
My Cars:

XM Headlights.

Post by Doc »

I have noticed that the XM headlights 1992/93 model are not very good in dipped mode. The bulb holders/wiring and related systems have been checked out okay. Are there any upgrades available (without having to bolt on extra lights and ruin the aerodynamics) or is it a characteristic of the slim headlight design?
Doc
MooreStep
My Cars:

Post by MooreStep »

Doc, I have had very good results with both Phase 1 & 2 XMs by simply replacing the dipped beam bulbs with Xenon bulbs from my local motor factor. They cost about £15 a pair and only take 5 minutes to fit! Seems too good to be true, but they give about 30% more light, without dazzling oncoming traffic. Nor do they shed a blue light ... I don't know why Merc, BMW, etc headlights look blue but it has nothing to do with the fact that the bulbs contain Xenon.
I have been told that the reason standard XM dipped beams are so lousy (dangerously so in my opinion) is because Citroen wanted to avoid spending money developing new headlamp units for right hand drive markets. Instead it is alleged that they simply installed a blanking plate that avoids dazzling oncomers but also diminishes the light output and creates the sudden cutoff in the beam pattern. Can anyone advise if there is any truth in this?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Try Phillips Vision Plus bulbs from www.powerbulbs.com (or maybe your local factor). 50% more light - improved the lights on my Xantia immensely!
Richard
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

There's stacks of debate and advice on XM headlights on the yahoogroups XM forum. Sign on and check the archive.
Also, see
http://www.citroen.mb.ca/citroenet/html/x/xm9.html
For background on "The Headlamp Problem"
rg
XM 2.5 VSX Estate
MooreStep
My Cars:

Post by MooreStep »

Thanks rg. I visited the link you gave to Citroenet and recognise the comments on headlights from a recent edition of the Citroen Club magazine, presumably because they were written by the same Julian Marsh.
With the greatest respect to Julian, I have to say that I disagree with his conclusion that "Fitting more powerful bulbs does nothing to alleviate the problem ... the light is brighter but it is still confined to the computer generated beam pattern". The XM's standard headlamps are hopeless on dipped beam not only because of the sharp cutoff but also because they are far too dim. The brighter bulbs solve the latter problem, and because of the sharp cutoff they don't dazzle oncoming traffic. I think XM owners should try the brighter bulbs and decide for themselves whether they really do "nothing to alleviate the problem".
Edited by - MooreStep on 13 Jan 2003 19:06:25
Edited by - MooreStep on 13 Jan 2003 19:08:40