Gearbox Problem 2.1 TD Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jonesy
My Cars:

Gearbox Problem 2.1 TD Xantia

Post by Jonesy »

My '98 2.1 TD Xantia has recently started to be difficult to engage 3rd and 4th gears. It only happens occasionally but it just simply refuses to go in, normally 3rd rather than 4th. It doesn't crunch or make any odd noises, just literally refuses to go in. If you release the clutch and try again it almost always then engages fine. The clutch still seems perfect. I changed the gearbox oil and it seemed to improve the shift slightly but it still does it on the odd occasion and it is becoming frustrating.
The car has only done 106,000 miles and has been very well looked after, but was used for light towing in its early years.
Any thoughts would be much appreciated as to whether it will need stripping and rebuilding and if so can anyone recommend someone to do it?? I would remove the box myself. I live in Oxfordshire. Many Thanks.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I would personally chose one of 2 options.

Buy a used box and clutch and get them fitted and hope they last longer or,

Same as above but get the box checked out and maybe a longer ratio 5th gear if you do a lot of motorway travelling. This is only because in my opinion the car is well out of efficiency at anything like 75-90mph for normal cruising speeds.

It sounds like the synchromesh has gone is is on its last legs for 3rd and 4th. Have you checked to ensure the gear linkage checks out ok as well??
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hmm, doesn't sound like the synchro to me - this normally means it will crunch as you engage the gears - just baulking you suggests that it is a linkage problem with the selectors not getting alinged properly. The 2.1 uses the ML5 cable operated box, and it is not unknown for the cables to stretch causing selection problems (although I have mostly heard about it affecting 5th / reverse first). Trouble is, the cables are a one piece unit and cost about £250 from the dealers, and you need to remove the entire exhaust to change them :twisted: It could also be a clutch problem with the plate sticking and keeping the drive on - which is possibly why it comes right if you press the clutch again. Although... this is a hydrulic clutch isn't it? I wonder if maybe there is a problem with the clutch operating unit that is making it fail to disengage. Again, this is a sealed unit, and costs >£400!! It MIGHT be possible to bleed it though, I have heard of someone doing it on a Pug.....
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would go along with Richard and would suspect the linkage. If the clutch or synchromesh were at fault it would crunch when you tried to put it into gear. It is possible, if the synchro is very good to baulk at going in if the clutch is dragging, but that would occur in all gears, the fact that its only 3rd and 4th would indicate a selector alignment problem on that part of the gate, most probably caused by the cables. The 2.1 box is very tough, the only problem I have had is weak synchro on maybe one gear, and I have had five of them in XMs, one of them had done nearly 300k!
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

A mate of mines 2.1 lost the gearshift after a heavy jetwashing, lubrication of the cables and linkage cured it, I was not there however so could not describe the culprit.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I know it's a different beast but... I have now replaced two clutches on my 1.9TD both times the initial problem was difficulty in engaging gear whilst on the move.. both clutches (Valeo) when removed exhibited dissintegration of the centre plate...
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Jonesy
My Cars:

Post by Jonesy »

Thanks for the info. chaps, you've made me feel better if you think its the cables. I thought that this box was supposed to be very tough and hopefully it isn't an internal fault.
I will try and see if I can get the thing up on ramps and investigate these cables.
Thinking about the problem, it did seem to happen pretty much suddenly (over a few days) which possibly may indicate a selector/alignment problem, lets hope so!