Depressurising a non-running anti-sink Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Depressurising a non-running anti-sink Xantia

Post by Xaccers »

Citrojim, TehAgent and I spotted a xantia down the scrappy with some rather new looking sphere's on it, however the system was still pressurised so we left them alone.
The BoL mentions special equipment being needed to depressurise without the engine running.
What would be the safest way to depressurise a wrecked Xantia to get the sphere's off it without special equipment?
How do scrappies do it?
Could you just get some long bolt cutters and nip through the pipes standing out the way of the fountain of LHM?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Depends on how bad the engine is in it. if it can still be cranked then hook it up to some power and crank it for a little bit until the battery is dead on it with the bleed nut (not sure of technical term here) wide open and it should get a fair bit out of the system on the lowest setting assuming all four hubs are on the floor, or wheels if it still has them :)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Rather than cut a pipe and risk getting in the way of the high pressure LHM as its suddenly released, you could undo a sphere just enough to break the seal then slowly undo it until the LHM starts to run out, at least then you'd still have some degree of control over the flow/volume.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The "special equipment" needed to do it without the engine running is a small hydraulic bottlejack that they recommend for doing sphere pressure testing.

You basically set the height lever to minimum, open the regulator bleed screw, disconnect the output pipe from the pressure regulator, and connect your bottlejack to that pipe, and pump up the pressure enough to activate the anti-sink valves.

Another way if the car is just a wreck would be to cut or remove the auxillary belt and run the pump from an electric drill!

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The easy way is cutting the pipe - if the pipework is not worth saving anyway.
Flatten a section (1") of the pipe using 2 small hammers, one for counterhold, the other for flattening out the section as well as possible. Then cut the pipe at center of the flat section. This will give a safe mist instead of a dangerous high pressure jet.

But still its a mess to mother earth and our drinking water supplies ... :oops:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

An anti sink Xantia will hold pressure in it's system for months and months.

I've just recently completed breaking a Mk2 16v 1.8 which had snapped
it's cam belt and although it had sat ages it still sprayed a mist of pressurised
fluid out from the rear spheres even after opening the accumulator valve etc
etc. KP has it right, SLOW 'cracking open' of the sphere with a proper wrench
and stand well back or wear old clothes!! :wink:

All the front spheres came off without hassles though the car was a non-
hydractive SX - what caught me was the middle sphere.

Just because they're clean spheres doesn't mean they're good'uns mind,
but the engine bay was kept clean/clear of fluid leaks weather ingress etc!
I've probably got some attractive green cannon balls stacked round the back
of the garage if you want them... :wink: :lol:

Andrew
Last edited by andmcit on 09 May 2007, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You should still be able to undo the sphere even under pressure, although it will be tight all the way, just slacken it a few turns and wait for the fluid to drain out, you will know when the pressure has gone as you will then be able to unscrew it by hand.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The engine bay was only accessable by standing on a very slippery bonnet of another car that he Xantia was on top of, making using my tool to undo the pressurised sphere a bit difficult.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Well id stand back and aim a hammer a the HP line to the sphere and do it that way :)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Assuming the scrappie has complied with the rules, shouldn't he have drained all the fluids from the car anyway? It's worth asking!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

bxbodger wrote:Assuming the scrappie has complied with the rules, shouldn't he have drained all the fluids from the car anyway? It's worth asking!!
Thing is, even if he does drain the LHM, if it's an anti-sink, an amount of LHM, under pressure, will be trapped in the spheres and pipework however hard he tries.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Loosen the spheres and stand back, I did the spheres on a mates VSX a while back and nothing got rid of all the pressure, not a lot of LHM came out though, just a hiss and a squirt, have rags handy just in case.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.