No more squealing brakes!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

No more squealing brakes!

Post by Xaccers »

My 2.1 used to squeal quite a bit as I drove along, unless I touched the brake pedal, which would stop it for a few minutes.
On the way to GSF today however, there was a constant low squeal, really really annoying!
So I decided to bite the bullet and put my trust in the BoL and take the rear calipers off to see what was causing it.
The BoL actually covers it well, and it's an easy but long winded job.
I popped out the old pads and saw that they were worn down nearly half way, except at the top which was hardly touched so they hadn't been seating properly anyway and some of the squeal could have been this "lip" rubbing the outer rim of the disc.
The wear was also at an angle / and so was the wear on the disc!
Looking over the top I could see the caliper was just touching the disc.
The same was true on the other side of the car.

Followed the BoL and removed the calipers. Of course it was lying and gave the impression that once the bolts and brake pipe were out, it would be easy.
Heck no!
After much wigging and disc turning, I managed to get them out.
There was a thick layer of white corrosion on the calipers and where they mate against.
I scrapped this off and re-fitted the calipers and pads.
Not a sound from them now! :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

I hope you used copper grease on the backs of the pads. It helps to prevent squels. I had a similar problem with c5 rear brakes a few weeks ago.-Uneven wear , and that applies to both sides. I fitted new pads
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yep Xac i hope also you put a good coat of copperslip betwen the calipper and arm faces,and yes this has been coverd in depth on here
regards malcolm