start me up!!!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

corkymills
My Cars:

start me up!!!!!!!!

Post by corkymills »

I have a xantia 1.9 td desire.1998.100.000 miles on the clock.regularly serviced.Recently my battery ground flat and all that could be heard was all the relays clicking merrily away.I replaced the battery and about a week later I was having starting problems when engine was cold.I have checked out all previous posts regarding this(air leaks/glow plugs etc)but I wonder whether the pre heating system or relays may have been damaged or is this just coincidence.I managed to get the easiest glow plug out and it looks almost brand new although I have not had them changed in the 2yrs I have had the car.Just trying to eliminate the easiest &cheapest things first.hope you guys can help......many thanks ...corky
Edited by - corkymills on 09 Jan 2003 21:16:44
Edited by - corkymills on 10 Jan 2003 21:11:12
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

corky,
Have you had the alternator tested to see if it's charging as it should?
Seems strange that it would go OK for a week with a new battery & then play up. You'd have to think that if it was a problem other than power from the electrical system that it would have played up straight away.
The reason I say this is that with a battery that was down, without enough power to make things go, all that would possibly happen is the relays would be clicking.
Alan S
corkymills
My Cars:

Post by corkymills »

Hi Alan.Battery was original with car from new so was on its way out anyway(nearly 5yrs old)I did a short journey and came to restart car and it was having none of it,finaly battery went flat,only relays clickin.I went to it last night,turned ignition on and waited for light to go out(no click from relay)waited 30 seconds then heard a click followed by a low buzzing.Waited another 30seconds and turned her over,although still took longer than normal did seem a bit better. I just wondered if it could be the pre heat relay or system.Alternator/charging system seems fine.Dont think there is air leak as grenade pump feels firm.Dont fancy tackling glow plugs(looking for an easy way out)Cheers.....................corky.
hippy
My Cars:

Post by hippy »

Could it be your starter motor? I had a similar prob on my bx when the solenoid switch became faulty and although all the relevant relays would kick in, the starter motor wouldn't budge. Oddly enough, this only happened it hot weather at first but it gradually deteriorated..just a thought
FYDAMF
corkymills
My Cars:

Post by corkymills »

Hi,No starter motor does its job no problem just takes a while to fire up.I am just trying to eliminate the small easy jobs before having to tackle the bigger more awkward options (THE DREADED GLOW PLUGS).many thanks........................corky
corkymills
My Cars:

Post by corkymills »

looks like it could be air after all.Went to it tonight and pumped the hand grenade, started second time without much fuss.............corky
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree with AlanS - Have you checked the battery voltage - if so what was it?
If the voltage drops then the glow plugs won't heat properly . . hence bad starting. My battery failed a couple of nights ago at about -3C (an event for us in sunny hampshire!) I should have replaced it months ago but didn't. What is amazing is how it simply bursts into life with a new battery working at the proper voltage.
A small voltage drop will cause a significant fall off in glow plug efficience as they draw a very heavy current.
Jeremy