ZX intermittent steering vibration and ticking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kaspar
My Cars:

ZX intermittent steering vibration and ticking

Post by kaspar »

Hi there
i have a 1992 ZX 1.9 Diesel with 140K miles. During a long motorway trip suddenly the steering wheel started to vibrate heavily with a low ticking noise at right front end of car. Car also started to pull to the left and was more difficult to steer. Releasing the clutch stopped the vibrations, engaging the clutch started it again. Change of speed did not really matter. Road surface was smooth. After disengaging/engaging the clutch a few times all was back to normal. This happened twice. Also there now appears to be a ticking noise on roundabouts from the right front and a cluncking noise when reversing (probably the brake sticking). I suspect the rh driveshaft is gone but any other ideas?
Edited by - kaspar on 09 Jan 2003 18:51:41
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Check the c/v joints for excessive play and that the shaft can't be pulled too far out of the outboard c/v joint.
Check the r/h driveshaft intermediate bearing for play.
Check suspension bushes, ball joints, track rods and drop links.
Very unusual for a driveshaft to go down in such fashion and shouldn't affect straight ahead steering, might be something there when turning though.
If direction of car changes when accelerating/decelerating without steering movement, examine suspension and steering gear.
Dave