XM Tyre Choice - 2.5 Estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rg
My Cars:

XM Tyre Choice - 2.5 Estate

Post by rg »

Folks,
It's time to change the fronts.
Does anyone have a recommendation? Sure, they will probably only last 20K at best, but I am questioning paying ££80 per corner for Michelin Pilots.
My well-respected independent tyre centre recommends Uniroyals at £65.
Any experience out there?
rg
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

I'm afraid to say it but saving 15 quid on a tyre will be a false economy. There is a reason the Michelins cost what they do, they are probably the best tyre on the market. How much is 30 quid extra now going to effect you over the next 20,000 miles, especially if you get a tyre that has less grip, makes more noise, gives worse fuel economy which you might get. For me I'd rather not take the chance.
Buying cheaper tyres is probably one of the worst false economies you can make.
Now all the above is purely my opinion, to be believed or scorned as you please.
Edited by - reffro on 09 Jan 2003 19:21:13
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

Sorry I have to differ on the Michelins
Although they have excellent wear, ride, and dry grip, their wet weather performance is only average - certainly no better than other much cheaper tyres. The other problem is that the compound is quite hard (to get the excellent wear) and all tyre compounds get harder as they age. So the long life of the michelins is a curse rather than a blessing as the wet weather performance of an old michelin (or any old tyre) is awful to say the least.
You can quite happily go for a low cost new radial without any worries (the falkens on my Xantia were great), they don't last as long but they are much cheaper and have a softer compound and by changing them more often you are keeping the wet weather performance tip top.
Most of the premium big names are better than michelin and cheaper, my recomendation would be Goodyear.
Either way any tyre more than 2 years old has lost much of its wet weather grip. So half the time you're looking at throwing the michelins out only half worn cos the cars like a duck on ice in the wet.
Mark
hippy
My Cars:

Post by hippy »

£80 sounds a tad expensive..you may find cheaper if you shop around..I fitted pilot premacy (miche) to my Xantia 2.1td and I rekon I'll get 25K out of them on the front. They are also, quiet, comfortable and seem to offer good grip. I'm not sure about wet grip as hardmanm mentioned but if this is a factor for you, the miche pilot exalto (same price as premacy)is meant to give superior grip in the wet and due to a large central channel, the risk of aqua-planning is reduced. From my personal perspective, I have only ever been satisfied with miche's (and rate the premacys highly) but that does also mean I don't have much knowledge of alternative makes...
so there you have it, some blurb which doesn't really offer any help at all
FYDAMF
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

I've only recently had the opportunity to have a level playing field- ie new car with new tyres. The Ka I use when the Cit is busted now has 35000 miles on in 3 1/2 years. The Michelins on the back have hardly worn at all, those on the front lasted 2 years. As I haven't yet changed the rears, I have lived with them hardening up. They are now diabolical in the wet. Despite being well treaded, I need to change them. I have always bought the best rubber I could get and I don't think that there is any justification for saving money by buying cheap tyres. Softer compounds however are a different matter. My old (enhanced) 900 Turbo would eat a set of Yokohamas in 8000 miles but it never let go. In closing, Michelin invented the radial tyre for the DS. They bought out the company when Andre went bust. There is probably no tighter relationship between a tyre manufacturer and a car maker so
I'd stick to Michelin.
hardmanm

Post by hardmanm »

I drive a porsche now but feel the need to chip in my ha'penny worth now and again anyway!
I just changed my bridgestone RE730s for new Yokohamas which is s striking improvement in the wet. The bridgestones are another very hard compound, the back ones were only half worn but wet performance was terrifying! They also made a horrible racket like all the wheel bearings had gone - all is quiet now.
There may be differences between brands but the truth is any new radial is better than any old radial! There's no substitute for changing your tyres regularly and with hard compounds like the michelins you're just throwing away tyres with tread. Michelins on the back are the worst, they never wear out!
Mark