fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

metgreentd

fluid

Post by metgreentd »

having another problem with my xantia.does the lhm fluid thicken as it ages?i have a lhm fluid level indicator that is at the top of the plastic dome i have tried three different ones now all move freely untill i insert them into the resevoir then the float just goes straight to the top again,and no the fluid level is approx correct as my neighbour has an identical model.also i have movement at the front wheels when driving its like the wheels are going over gravel i have changed every component at the front with new or known to be good used parts i have changed tyres over had the wheels balanced changed hubs discs pads spheres etc and its still there but no movement can be felt when the old tyre lever is inserted between arms and chassis etc as per the mot test checks.could it be a fluid or pressure problem.the car rises and falls as normal and no lghts on dash the ride is good apart from this wheel twitching any ideas?also the twitching is not felt at the steering wheel rather through your feet as it were.
deian

Post by deian »

Maybe you need to clean where the float indicator slides up to (glass bit), there may be gunk stuck there, if it still goes to the top the you have too much LHM, which in itself isn't bad. But bare in mind that you have to check the LHM fluid level with the suspension on it's highest level, then look at whether the float inside the glass is still between the two marks.

I reckon the movement at the front wheels you talk about might well be 'droplinks'... a much talked about and well known symptom to lots of front suspension annoyances. It seems like you've changed a lot of stuff in the front there, so we can eliminate them, it could also be bushes in the lower arms. Is the steering sharp and precise? If so, then your lower arms should be ok, and i'd say it's the droplinks. I'm sure someone will confirm.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I hate to say it, but if the float moves freely when out of the tank and then goes straight to the top and stays there when fitted to the tank then the level IS too high.

You are checking it with the suspension at maximum height and the engine idling, right ? You are aware that at maximum height where the gauge is designed to read the correct level that the tank should be mostly empty ? (As most of the oil has gone into the suspension)

It's not quite clear what you mean by "movement at the front wheels" do you mean you suspect there is slack in the suspension ? A tyre lever check can't really be done when the suspension is pressurized, because if (for example) the bottom hub balljoint had slack, the hydraulics will keep pressure on the joint keeping the slack taken up.

How are the steering rod balljoints ? Lower arm bushes ? Those two are most likely to give kickback in the steering, although lower hub balljoint can too if its really bad.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
metgreentd

fluid

Post by metgreentd »

what a pratt i feel.regarding the high float indication as i have been told the fluid level was way to high in fact i had to syphon 1.5 pints out of it to get the little orange thing between the two lines is this now the correct reading?the manual says the orange level indicator between the lines but others have said its the brass level that should be between the lines.and yes it was on high when i checked the level.would this running on to much fluid have done any damage?thanks
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The orange tophat shaped indicator is the correct indicator - to sit between the 2 red markings.
The Bronze disc is the visible contact piece for the low level warning electric switch.

And NO - nothing happens at all overfilling. Except in some cases it may lead to a divorce, as missus is far from happy with messy greasy, spillage spots on your driveway :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

No,

The manual is correct (funny that :lol: ) it's definately the orange plastic disc that should be between the two lines - the brass disc below it on the stalk is what shorts across the contacts in the bottom to trigger the low level indicator light if the level is too low.

There is no harm/damage in having too much oil in the tank - all that will happen is if you had fully depressurized the car (suspension right down and regulator bled) you would have had a lovely mess thanks to the tank overflowing oil out over your engine bay... :oops:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Would have squirted excess LHM out the overflow hose out of the filler bung, or popped the bung out, or left residue around the filter/filler unit houseing (got any lhm pooling on the top of the resevoir?) if you'd set the suspension to low :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Aww, beaten by one minute :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

:lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Mandrake wrote:Aww, beaten by one minute :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Type faster ;) (my keyboard is melting)
My Xantia's appear to have slightly too much fluid (LHM in the 1.9 and hydroflush which really really needs replacing with LHM soon in the 2.1) so I have a nice little pool of the stuff around the filter housing :oops:

It's the orange disc that has to be between the two red lines when the suspension is set on high.
You might want to do some citrobics before testing to make sure any air bubbles have been flushed out I suppose.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389