Xantia - Crackling noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nigelpercy

Xantia - Crackling noise

Post by nigelpercy »

Hi Folks,
Just got myself a '97 Xantia 2.0 SX - Very pleased with it so far, just got one question to ask.

When it's parked and the ignition is switched off. Every now and again there is a crackling noise from the O/S front. The sort of noise you'd get when you have a loose connection on a speaker. Is this where the alarm siren is located? I tried removing Fuse 17 but the noise still continued. It is definately an electrical noise rather than a mechanical one. Does anyone have any ideas what the cause is and even better, does anyone have a solution.

Cheers
Nige
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have you tried provoking the sound - by lightly pressing down on the front wing of the offended side ?
What I'm after is a dry front suspension hydraulic strut cylinder, which can make this weird sound as the suspension relaxes and settles like this :

1) at the moment you leave the car, the suspension looses the load of your weight and the height raises a bit.
2) the raising height is sensed by the height corrector which then releases pressure to let car sink down to correct height
3) as the car gently sinks, the dry cylinder makes this weird sound because its binding on dry working surfaces.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Xantia - Crackling noise

Post by DickieG »

nigelpercy wrote: Is this where the alarm siren is located?
That's located within the N/S wing, just behind the side repeater indicator.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
nigelpercy

Post by nigelpercy »

AndersDK wrote:Have you tried provoking the sound - by lightly pressing down on the front wing of the offended side ?
What I'm after is a dry front suspension hydraulic strut cylinder, which can make this weird sound as the suspension relaxes and settles like this :
I was almost 100% convinced it was an 'electrical' noise but at least you have given me something to look at. The other post saying the siren is in the N/S wing also disproves my theory.