how do i find I.F.H.S. customer service or web site?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

how do i find I.F.H.S. customer service or web site?

Post by wonderd »

I baught spheres for my xantia 6 months ago and now they are no good.
on the original packing (I.F.H.S. Brand) there s a number 2 mark - i assume it means there is a 2 year garantee on the spheres.
The guy i baught it from says there is only 3 months garantee.
how do i find a document that says they have that 2 year garantee or their customer service? (is there a web site?)

Thank you,
Elad.
Xantia 2.0L 16V manual trans. 96
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The 2 could mean anything, you're assuming it means number of years warranty.
Are they new units or re-gassed ones?
Where did you buy them from?
From what I've read regarding warranties, they are worthless in law, it's just an assurance from the seller that they will exchange them without trouble within the warrenty period.
Legally you should be able to expect a reasonable amount of use/time out of anything you purchase new.
So if you bought a widget and the shop gave you a 1 month warranty, but most other shops gave 2 years, you could use that to get a replacement/repair if your widget failed after 6 months.
Would probably mean the small claims court or trading standards etc.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
wonderd

I bought them new

Post by wonderd »

or at least they were supposed to be new, and they came in their original box of I.F.H.S., the number has a black circle around it.
I bought it from a shop and not from cit. dealer.

Well, tomorrow i wil try to go back there with the original box (i am lucky i saved it..) and we'll see what happens.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Look on google for the sale of goods act and consumer rights acts so you can go armed :)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The following is a direct copy from the I.F.H.S. catalogue;

WARRANTY CONDITIONS
I.F.H.S. guarantees that the new spheres are free of defects caused by manufacturing, design
and/or material faults for a period of 2 years from the purchase date.
This warranty does not cover wear due to normal use (such as the gradual decrease in the
pre-charge pressure), nor defects caused by incorrect assembly or an accident.
The warranty provided by I.F.H.S. only extends to the replacement of the defective sphere with
a new sphere.

Here's a link to their catalogue http://www.dworzak.at/Kataloge/KATALOG_ ... N_2005.pdf
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Damn, what kind of liability is that?!!!
What does it mean when they say defective parts - i say that if within 2 years the gas escapes, then it means the sealer/gasket/what ever there is in there is faulty. isn't it?
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Sounds right to me.
The sphere should work for 2 years, if the gas completely escapes in those 2 years then its defective.

DIY sphere tool
wonderd

///

Post by wonderd »

hey there...
I went to the shop today, he saw the box and replaced the spheres without argument. good for me.

One question though - the front spheres should be 55/400, he offered me 50/400 - saying it's better. My car is not hidra active, what will be the difference? he also offered me 55/500.

Thank you.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Warranty issues are very difficult with a sphere.

I guess that what IFHS mean is that they will not guarantee against natural diffusion.

If you popped a front sphere back to them after 12 months and it was flat then they would replace it as it has an obvious fault, but if the pressure had dropped from 55- to 45- then that would be wear and tear with no faults.

Front spheres and accumulators will loose pressure through diffusion at approx 10- per year, whilst the rear will loose approx 5- per year. The fronts going faster because of under bonnet temperatures.

I know that Mandrake is a big fan of recharging, he will probabally agree that recharged spheres seem to last longer than new.

Regards
Slim
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

slim123 wrote:I know that Mandrake is a big fan of recharging, he will probabally agree that recharged spheres seem to last longer than new.
Eh ? When did I say I was a big fan of recharging ? :lol:

What I might have said is that if you recharge spheres before they get too low in pressure their total lifespan before failure will be a lot longer than letting them get really low in pressure and then trying to recharge them. (As running spheres with very low pressure damages the diaphram due to excessive flexing)

I don't think the actual rate of gas loss from diffusion is any slower for a recharged sphere - in fact it probably increases gradually with age and recharging cycles...(meaning they need regassing more frequently as they age)

Over here where spheres are very expensive and not readily available theres a lot more motivation for recharging - if I lived in the UK where they are cheap and plentiful I wouldn't bother.

Having said that I havn't had any recharged recently, I've just had to fork out for new due to circumstances...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

there use to be a shop in israel that was recharging spheres and for a very cheep price (10-15 pounds), but they stopped doing that a few years ago.

I can buy new ones here from the main cit dealer for 40 pounds or go to my supplier and get it from him for 25. with warranty.
Xantia 1.9L TD 99
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Here in Ireland they can be re-charged for €20-00 each.