C5 Estate rear accessory sockets

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

birstall

C5 Estate rear accessory sockets

Post by birstall »

The rear accessory (cigarette lighter) sockets (one in the boot - one at the back of the centre console) seem to have stopped working. The front one works OK.

Wondering if it will be a fuse or a loose connection somewhere.

Probably blew a fuse from blowing up footballs with a compressor!

Can anyone confirm that it's a blown fuse?

Cheers!
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I have no idea on a C5.

But it certainly would be logic going for a fuse. Old time standards are red 10Amp fuse for cigarette lighter sockets.
Believe the C5 is fitted with the recent type of mini blade fuses. These are the same style - but smaller - than the blade fuses you know from your BX era.

I would not dare to to increase the fuse rating. Recent cars are designed to the limit of all components, including the electric harness.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
birstall

Post by birstall »

Thanks for that.

Just to update, checked fuses last night and it turns out to be a 15amp fuse on the second row back third from the right. I assume the higher rating is because they have two sockets working on the same fuse circuit.

Cheers.
Current: C5 HDI Exclusive Saloon
Past : C5 HPI Exclusive Saloon
C5 HPI Exclusive Est
Xantia 1.9TD VSX
BX 1.7 TZD
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Some old Lucas ones used to state the continuous and peak ratings - so an apparent 'White' 35 amp fuse would also be marked 17 amp continuous. Whilst I understood the significance it always confused me when replacing one that was stated in the manufacturers handbook as being 35 amp.
jeremy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Good point!
In most cases, fuses are rated by their holding current, not rupture current: not always appreciated by users when deciding what spec they need.