Glow plugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

toldemoldham
My Cars:

Glow plugs

Post by toldemoldham »

Hi all does my 1.9td need new glow plugs with 5-6 turns to fire up when it usualy takes 2 white smoke and a lumpy tick over when first started in the mornings,if so is there any specific brand to go for i got a few prices for full sets and single plugs,£8.95 for a single plug from a motor factors £16.99 for a full set off e-bay or £40+ for a pack of 2 bosch :shock: i presume the bosch plugs are better quality or is it the brand name that whacks the price up anyway this is my first atempt at g/p and is the 1 behind the fuel pump as hard to get out as it looks and it looks like a proper knuckle buster and a few choice words to me :( paul.
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

My factor has Westmann for £25 a set, had them in for a couple of years now in three vehicles, no problems.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

BERU glowplugs as supplied by GSF come very highly recommended and are a good price.

Ensure though, that you get the right ones. The ones for a TD and an Normally Aspirated Desel are different and not entirely interchangable. The correct BERU ones are GN909 which are specifically for the TD "Post Heat" function.

There are some very detailed Posts about doing glowplug swaps on this forum, one is in the hints and tips area.

Basically, arm yourself with a good, long 12mm cranked ring spanner, a lump of blu-tac to hold the 8mm nuts on the end of your finger and stuff a large lump of rag behind the injection pump to prevent loosing nuts and glowplugs down behind the pump!!!

Not nearly such a bad job as it first looks :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Bosch do some duraterm glowplugs which are double wound and are very good at helping you get a diesel started and kicked over very quickly.
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Agree fully with the previous contributors, but could I also add - Arm yourself with a magnet in addition to the previous excellent advice
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

Hiya, can I also add that a very low charge on the battery can give the same symptoms almost.
After the preheat light goes out on the dash, wait about 5 seconds and then try it.....if it starts better then, it's only the battery charge.
May not be but thought I'd play devil's advocate.
Good luck.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
toldemoldham
My Cars:

Post by toldemoldham »

Hi all done the plugs wernt as bad as it looked all in all and as for wait a few seconds i do that anyway till i hear a click,normal starting now so thanx for all the info :D
And just as i thought it was all going good the drivers door hinges snapped off the door frame :shock: the door was not dropping when opended giving me a hint its about to go it just dropped off full stop,i repaired passenger door last yr no problem but it was tricky getting drivers door lined up as both hinges had come off the door frame ,is it just the estate that has this problem :?
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Unfortunately you are not the first Xantia Estate owner having had this misfortune ...
We are talking the weldings that gave up, because of a dodgy welding job, right ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
toldemoldham
My Cars:

Post by toldemoldham »

Yes anders its the welds that give up, the original welds did not split down the centre of the weld it split on the edge of the weld and i could see no penatration on the door pillar,looks like it was done in the vertical down position this is quick but gives a poor quality weld :(
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jmd wrote:Agree fully with the previous contributors, but could I also add - Arm yourself with a magnet in addition to the previous excellent advice
i also agree but add to the list of equipment a length of wire like locking wire,as whan re/fitting the one behind the pump i dangle it down into pklace on said piece of wire with just a couple of twists in it to hold the plug till its in its socket
regards malcolm