battery Choice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

axamax
My Cars:

battery Choice

Post by axamax »

Can anyone recommend a make of battery for my 1988 BX14RE. I notice in the handbook that the diesels have a different battery. The engine turns over very slowly especially when cold, as I finish work at 2am, I need a reliable battery with good output. I don't know the age of the current one (a Sabre 063 Heavy Duty, and can't see any dates on it except one that would pre-date the car by a year and a half!. Any help gratefully recieved.
philip.coffey@ntlworld.com
Jon

Post by Jon »

the 063 is the correct battery for the BX petrol. Both Citroen and Andyspares supply Fulmen batteries for the aftermarket.
There is a high power Fulmen version of the 063 known as a DS4 which has a greater cold cranking amperage for those cold morning starts.
The other option is to fit a slighty larger battery, 065 as there is ample room for it as the battery tray is the same as BX diesels which use the 065.
Jon Wood
forum@andyspares.com
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

The Valeo permanet-magent starters Citroen use are very demanding on battery performance. A battery that would start the same size Rover engine easily would hardly turn the BX 1.6. A HD or diesel-model battery is definitely a good idea.
HST, the starter can get sluggish if the brushes are nearing the end of their life. Lucas depots can supply new brushes if you give them the starter type number. (about a fiver)
Edited by - IanR on 08 Jan 2003 18:12:50