Xantia Temperature Gauge Antics!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Xantia Temperature Gauge Antics!

Post by CitroJim »

On the Activa, the temperature gauge is behaving very strangely. In the daytime with lights off it behaves perfectly. Rock steady just below 90. Perfect.

Switch on sidelight and the gauge goes up. Put on headlights and it goes higher and on main beams it goes highter still. It slowly gets higher and higher the longer the lights are on :? As it goes higher so it becomes unstable and wanders betweem 100 and 110. Switch off all lights and all returns to normal. Last night was especially bad. It shot nearly to the red zone.

It is not overheating, the fans don't run under the above conditions and nor does the warning light come on so it is just the gauge mis-reading.

What on earth is going on? I'm stumped to even begin to explain this one :?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Temperature Gauge Antics!

Post by Mandrake »

citrojim wrote:What on earth is going on?
Got it in one. :lol:

(if you didn't get the joke, it sounds like an earth fault)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ohms law :
resistance x amperage = voltage drop.

You have resistance in a common earth for the instrument and the headlamps. headlamps eats quite a few amps, produces a voltage drop in the earth, which is deducted from the +12V feed line.
As the temp gauge relies on higher reading by lower voltage, you then get a higher reading. If you short out the temp gauge sender, the gauge will read stuck high.

Simon did a much shorter explanation though :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks all :lol: :lol:

For the first time today I ran the aircon and the gauge did the same tricks then.

It all makes sense now :)

I am feeling a bit of a twit right now :oops: :oops: I'm a time-served electronics engineer and I just could not see it :roll: :roll:

I can be so thick sometimes. I'm going to ground for a bit :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Dont worry about it. I have recently retired as a TV engineer after 50 years in the trade and still get caught out by car electronics (and TVs for that matter)! :oops: :oops: