Activa sphere change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Activa sphere change

Post by LeeDJC »

I have previously changed the spheres on my LX which was pretty straightforward. Obviously the Activa has a few extra such as the hydractive and ram spheres as well.

Is there anything I should look out in particular for when changing these? Is the a particular order in which it's best to do them?

Thanks!
Lee
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

If you are going to change all of them, carry out the usual procedure for a standard Hydractive sphere change (already detailed in previous posts), you then need to de-pressurise the Activa high pressure part of the system.

This is done by moving the roll corrector linkage (on the front suspension) from side to side several times, then attach a brake bleed tube to the nipple situated on the rear Activa sphere block, undo it until the flow of fluid stops, releasing any residual pressure. If you don't, when it comes to changing the front balancing sphere :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'm not aware of any particular order to be followed when changing them, once the system is depressurised I wouldn't have thought it makes any difference.

Before jumping to change the sphere's remember that the ride on an Activa is somewhat firmer than other Xantia's, particularly at the front. If you do need to change them, then GSF don't offer a full set anymore. Either Westroen, Pleiades or a new set from I.F.H.S are your options. You could always try a dealer @ £80 each x 10 :shock:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This thread is just in time! I shall be changing all my rear spheres this weekend. I shall keep soaking my bleed nipple in Plus Gas and will try again to crack it open.

Just a quick question. I noticed this evening that the difference between hard and soft mode at the rear of mine is not that great. I'd almost say it is hardish and not quite so hard. There is not the massive difference there is at the front between hard and soft mode. I know the rear hydractive electrovale is working as I can feel a difference and can hear the valve clicking on and off. How much difference at the rear should I feel?

So I reckon I may have nearly flat spheres. They look as though they have been there a long time so they are due a change.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You shouldn't need to bleed the brakes should you? Gas shouldn't get into the limbs to the calipers, especially if the fluid isn't move by applying the brakes until the LHM has been circulated by Citroebics.
jeremy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Personally, I always bleed the brakes after a sphere change.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Here's a pic of C5 spheres on an Activa.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c242/ ... ses_ar.jpg
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

What are the benefits of fitting the C5 spheres to older generation cars?

Are they softer or just longer lasting with the triple thickness diaphragm or skins?
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I'd be interested in finding out why they've put C5 spheres an an activa also.....
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I'm not exactly sure of the origin of this, but I have heard it mentioned that some very late build Activa's did have these grey sphere's fitted from new. Before you rush out to buy some, I understand that they also have a different thread requiring an adaptor collar to fit.

Take a good look around the following link (related to the French Activa Car Club, masses of photo's here) http://membres.lycos.fr/ci6web/auto/ and you'll find the original photo for the link that Kev posted in either subfolder Rencontre 8 or 9, together with a few more of these grey sphere's on Activa's and the adapting collar.

For Activa owners there are quite a few useful photo's for reference (repairing the balancing ram's etc) and for Xantia owners in general, particularly now that PR.NET has closed, a large number of parts diagrams listed under the title of LASER :D .
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
KP
My Cars:

Re: Activa sphere change

Post by KP »

Just to bring a thread back from the dead....

Does anyone knwo anything more about this at all?

I have heard that adapters were made up for this as the later spheres that were fitted to xantias were in fact grey but the dimensions and spec was the same as the green and that it was just an EU thing that they started moving over to grey.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Will, I had a very late Hydractie HDi once and that had a C5-style grey mushroom rear centre Hydractive sphere and that had exactly the same thread as a normal green sphere.

Late green-type spheres (i.e. not C5 mushrooms) were (and still are) painted grey.
Jim

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Well ive put in a call to see if any local dealers have any green spheres sat on their shelves.

They will come back to me with part numbers and from that i can hopefully match them upto cars and get the right specs for them as they are happy to discount them a bit to see the back of them and being in a nice cool dark warehouse shelf they should still be at pressure as well being original Citroen ones :D

lets see what they find! if not then IFHS it is :)

Still cant see how the C5 spheres have the same thread but i do have two in the garage i can check when i get my hands on another Sphere at some point :)