Fuel Leak off pipe, starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CDC02254

Fuel Leak off pipe, starting problems

Post by CDC02254 »

Can anyone help?.

I recently went on holiday and left my xantia at purple parking on my return I found my car had not moved as they lost the key code. When I tried to start the car it wouldnt accept my key code. The friendly mechanic decided to open an injector to check if there was diesel flow which there wasnt.

When he done this he cracked a britle fuel leak off pipe. I cut the pipe back and reattched it to the injector.

Ever since I have had problems starting the car which has always been a very good starter.

I have checked all the joints and cant find any more leaks but still no joy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Brett
CDC02254

Fuel leak off pipe.

Post by CDC02254 »

Ok,

I have just been reading through some posts.

looking at the engine from the front of the car the roght hand end fuel leak off pipe should terminate where and how??????

This may be my problem, when I checked the injector had a small piece of broken pipe on it. When I searched around the engine bay I found a similar looking piece of pipe coming from a junction so I cut this and attached it to the last injector!!!!!
CDC02254

Leak off pipe

Post by CDC02254 »

So it seems that the last injector should have a blanking cap on it which I have done.

Now behind the engine about center there seems to be a filter , what is this??
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If the 'Filter' is in the crankcase breather hoses its an oil trap - which is supposed to catch the oil droplets in the fumes and drop them back into the sump. The round type ones used by Citroen are good in that they don't seem to fill with mayonnaise and condensation but I do wonder how much oil they actually separate.

Leakoff pipes will only affect starting on engines with Bosch injection pumps. roto-diesels just leak and smell.

You can replace them easily and indeed should do so if they are brittle. A length of small bore fuel tubing can be cut to length or special kits can be purchased. The starting problem is caused by air getting in not fuel getting out and its possible that one is happening without the other. End caps are easily available too. Its worth getting a spare as some of the aftermarket ones don't last that long.

Very long nosed pliers make fitting much easier.
jeremy
CDC02254

Fuel Leak off pipes

Post by CDC02254 »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes my Citroen does have a bosch pump and blocking the last leakoff seems to have improved the starting.

The filter I am looking at does seem to be at the back of the crank case quite hard to get to central behind the dashboard. The reason I ask is because I have found a loose pipe and that filter seem to be missing a pipe. I have looked through my haynes manual but I cant find anything on this.

Regards

Brett
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi Brett,

Don't take this the wrong way but are you sure it's a filter and not the EGR valve? If it is the EGR valve that could be why it's been disconnected.

Any chance of a photo of the said part?

Steve.
not applicable