Xsara 1.9TD rev counter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Angus
My Cars:

Xsara 1.9TD rev counter

Post by Angus »

Hi All,

As the Xsara is now running!!!!! I would like to get a few of the other niggles sorted out.

The rev counter doesnt work, the needle lifts a 1/4" of the peg when you turn the ignition on but doesnt do anything further than this when the engine is started! I guess it must be a sensor as the engine is a diesel?

Any hot tips on where to start looking?

Also, although this is a minor problem, the stereo has lost its code, is this a dificult thing to obtain or should I just fit a aftermarket CD player as the sterio is very basic?

Appologies for the spelling on all my posts, its not my strongest point!

Regards
Angus

Edit, I have had a search on this site and it would apear likely to be the sensor, so I will investigate further.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

On our XUD TD, the rev counter goes to zero on the overun, but is otherwise OK - except at tickover, when it registers normally! Anyone come accross this?

In any case not really a worry.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The rev counter is driven by the TDC sensor which is located just above the flywheel and below the end of the cylinder head. There is a two pin connector in the circuit, on the end of the cylinder head, which can become corroded, pull it apart and give it a good clean and a spot of grease. If that doesnt cure it, its probably the sensor itself.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Sounds exactly the same arrangement as a 405.

Steve.
not applicable
omriohyon

If the car have A/C

Post by omriohyon »

then it is controoled and shown by a UNIT wich by the left hand side under the the car floor and wheel, coverd with plastic , access from beneth only. It is where the BITRON is located.
there are 2 mini ecus: BITRON, and another one - the another one CONTRL the A/C and the rev counter.
Angus
My Cars:

Post by Angus »

I will investigate mine over Easter, but it sounds like it could be quite expencive to fix and its not an essential piece of kit on a turbo diesel so I may leave it as broken.

Angus