ZX electric windows

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simoncanfer

ZX electric windows

Post by simoncanfer »

The electric windows on my ZX (1997, TD 5 door model) are very slow. In cold weather they hardly move!

As well as being slow they activate the central locking, to open the locks...

I have tried some PTFE spray on the rubber runners, to little effect.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Simon
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

Simon,

It sounds like you've got some bare wires somewhere. The most likely spot is where the wires pass between the door and the dashboard - they're well known for breaking down where they have to bend.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Open the door wide, and push the cover covering the wiring loom out of your way so you can see the wires..

If the wires look ok, take the door panel (card) off, peel back the inner cover, and oil every moving part in sight! I did this on my "new" ZX and the windows now zoom up and down a real treat :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wonder - could it be a bad earth somewhere - wiper motor is slow due to the poor earth. Current applied to a poor earth point shared with the locking gives a signal like the key being operated?

If this theory is correct (and its no better really than a conspiracy theory) then the problem is the earthing in the drivers door as I expect the passenger one does not operate on the key.
jeremy
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Not wanting to hijack someone elses thread, but might be related...

On mine, every time the drivers window reaches the top, the doors unlock (or thats what it sounds like)...undersized earth cabling?
simoncanfer

Post by simoncanfer »

Thanks for those replies.

I've inspected the wiring between the doors and body, it seems to be remarkably clean and intact. No way of seeing whether some wires are broken inside the sheaths though.

So it's door cards off at dawn!

Simon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Phil - as your door only unlocks when the window reaches the top I wonder if its actually mechanical - ie something hitting the door unlock mechanism. It may be worth while putting your finger on the lock/unlock button on the door as the window comes up and seeing if the button moves before you hear the lock motor (suggests something's catching) or if its the other way round.
jeremy