How to clean a MAP sensor?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

How to clean a MAP sensor?

Post by oscarloco »

Hi guys.

I tried using the search but I couldn't find anything about cleaning the MAP sensor. :oops:

How is it done?
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I don't honestly think they can be Oscar. When they go, they go and there is not much that can be done with them short of replacement. a quick blast of solvent like carb cleaner may be worth a try but i don't hold out a lot of hope.

Often the problem is external to them, a perished pipe or an air leak upsetting what it is trying to read. If it is bulkhead mounted, the pipe going to it is often the caused, either because it is split, perished or blocked.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Thanks Jim. But suppose the vacumm hoses are OK but there is some crud inside the sensor. Can it be cleaned using the carb cleaner? Can the sensor withstand this?
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its very easy to test really.

The MAP sensor is fed with ground & +5V from the ECU on 2 terminals. The third terminal (usually the mid pin) returns a voltage proportional with the vacuum : 0.5V - 4.5V.
Switch on the ignition (dont start engine) and have a go with your voltmeter using the vacuum hose as a mouth suction straw.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Thank you Anders.
Oscar Lopez
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

If you are going to try and clean it with carb cleaner, DONT spary it into the MAP sensor - you'll kill it. It can only withstand either immersion or pouring of the carb cleaner into the hole. As such, it may dissolve a little bit of crud but it might only keep it going for a bit (if at all). Start budgeting for a new one...