Strange symptom

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Strange symptom

Post by alan s »

Pulled all the spheres off the VSX yesterday to test and regas any that were down.

Did the depressurise bit with engine running/door and bonnet open and proceeded to remove all spherese at the rear.
Refitted and started to remove the front. Accumulator, no problems, then the RH front suspension came off easily, but when I reached the LH one it was obviously under pressure. I left it loose but in place screwed out about 3 - 5 turns but it still had pressure there. After about 20/30 minutes, I began to try to screw it out but had to use the strap to get enough pressure to move it. At this stage, it squirted fluid just like one with a blown diaphram but only for a short time.
I then took both fronts and tested them and sure enough, both had the correct pressure in them. :shock:
Obviously something was stuck I suppose, but what?
For the record, I had the front sitting on the ground with the back up on a pair of ramps. Would that have affected it any way?

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Pressure in the hydractive bit perhaps, I had the same when doing a mates VSX.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Hmm, glad i'm not the only one, I had the same issue with the left front one on one of my VSX Xantia's a few years ago, sprayed LHM everywhere :mrgreen: needed new wipers etc etc. Quite why it happened with just the one (left front) I've never worked out though.

I've learned that lesson well and now always wrap a carrier bag around the front spheres when I undo them.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Ah yes -

The hydractive valve unit contains those directional flow limiters to each wheel - to minimise roll. That way I suppose the 2 wheels on one axle is not directly connected like the old passive systems on BX, CX etc.
I think that has cheated you together with the fact that weight was still present on the cylinders.

Once you have grounded the hydractive as pr correct procedure, I'd recommand to lift the offended end of the chassis having dangling loose wheels, before removing the spheres. That way you are dead sure no pressure is left in the wheel cylinder you're working on.
Thats like the old passive systems too.

Easy to write up such advice - but remembering it when hands are oily :oops: :roll:

been there :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

In the hydractive system, there's a thing that works along the lines of a pendulum that triggers the suspension so that if it starts to dip on one side, this throws the pressure across to jck that side up, so I wondered if perhaps this was the cause.
It couldn't be the way it was sitting as the back end was up on the ramps and the both front wheels were sitting on flat concrete, but I wonder if the fact we drive in the left which means the crown of the road falls away to the left causes a component to wear and thereby increases pressure on that side front wheel?
I didn't get too much of a bath because as soon as I felt the tightness, I knew I had pressure problems so had a rag at the ready.
I wonder if anyone living where they drive on the right has had this problem and if so was it with the left or right side. That might give us some idea.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

alan s wrote:In the hydractive system, there's a thing that works along the lines of a pendulum that triggers the suspension so that if it starts to dip on one side, this throws the pressure across to jck that side up, so I wondered if perhaps this was the cause.
Hmm, :?:

Where do you get that idea from Alan ? There are no pendulum systems on Hydractive 2, and not even on the Activa. Might be time to read up on how Hydractive 2 works :lol: (and I mean that in a friendly way, don't get the wrong idea...to be fair it is a fairly complex system, especially the Activa additions which are on top of Hydractive 2)

The Activa is the only model to "actively" counter body roll - Hydractive 2 simply switches to "hard mode" which has increased roll resistance, but it can't "undo" any roll which has already occured in a corner until the moment the switch occured, it can only limit further roll.

A lot of the reason why "sport mode" (selected by the console switch) reduces body roll more than "normal mode" is because it just switches to hard mode sooner, before the roll can occur, rather than part way through the rolling motion of the body...(and hence less total roll for a given corner)

The Activa measures body roll only at the front basically with a simple mechanical linkage that measures the differential position of the left and right end of the rollbar applied to what is basically a height corrector without a damper chamber - yep thats right, the active roll correction on an Activa is purely mechanical/hydraulic. (The computer only serves the same purpose as it does in Hydractive 2 - making decisions on whether hard or soft mode is appropriate)

Hydractive 2 doesn't even measure body roll at all, either electronically or mechanically - it measures road speed, steering wheel angle and velocity, front brake pressure, throttle pedal movement, and "body movement" by way of a single sensor clamped near the middle of the front rollbar - which only responds to up/down movements of the suspension. (Mainly to detect impending bottoming of the suspension, and stiffen it accordingly)

Also a little bit puzzled by Anders comment:
AndersDK wrote: The hydractive valve unit contains those directional flow limiters to each wheel - to minimise roll. That way I suppose the 2 wheels on one axle is not directly connected like the old passive systems on BX, CX etc.
I'm not sure what he means by "directional flow limiters" - so I'll describe whats actually in the Hydractive block - basically there are two damper valves, one on each side where the large diameter pipes go in, which are identical in every way (except calibration) to the ones you'd find in a sphere. They are not directional, they have equal jounce/rebound calibration, eg 50/50.

Single wheel bumps only have to pass through one damper valve to reach the sphere in the middle so are lightly damped - but body roll means the oil has to travel through both damper valves in series to pass from one side to the other, so body roll movements are more heavily damped than bump absorbing movements. (which is good)

The above is soft mode, in hard mode a valve closes the 3 connections - the sphere becomes completely isolated but the left and right sides are also isolated from each other - no flow of oil can pass between left and right at all in this state, body roll can only occur due to oil passing in and out of the heavily damped strut spheres... hence very low body roll.

There is also a floating ball valve which bypasses the damper valves so that height correction can still work in the hard mode. (Without it the flow from height corrector to struts would be cut off completely in hard mode)

You really need to see a diagram to understand how it works but basically its designed to block crossflows of oil between left and right, but allow incoming and outgoing flows of oil to the height corrector to temporarily unblock it.

It's possible that if there was still some pressure left in the suspension at the time when the electrovalve shut off, that the ball valve would not allow both sides to drop to zero pressure, leaving a small amount of pressure in one side.

More than likely all that went wrong is that you didn't wait long enough from the time you lowered the height lever until you turned the engine off and opened the bleed screw. I wait a good 3-4 minutes of idling for this reason before opening the bleed screw and turning off the engine, if I'm going to be removing any spheres. (Yes, it really can take that long to guarentee its down to zero pressure, especially at the rear)

If you notice the same problem in future all you need to do is close the bleed screw and run the engine for 30 seconds or so, but leaving the height lever down - this will reactivate the electrovalves, allow the trapped pressure to escape, then you can turn the engine off and open the bleed screw again...

Another possible cause is that you have an unreliable/intermitant front electrovalve and that it is sometimes not in soft mode when it should be. (Which will definately cause trouble depressurizing)

If there is pressure in the middle sphere and the strut spheres are depressurized in hard mode there is still a small amount of leakage through the valve and it will gradually repressurize the outer spheres, or perhaps just one of them.

Regards,
Simon
Last edited by Mandrake on 29 Mar 2007, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

There is also a floating ball valve which bypasses the damper valves so that height correction can still work in the hard mode. (Without it the flow from height corrector to struts would be cut off completely in hard mode)
THAT was what I was referring to and yes I do have a "bit" of an idea how it all works. That was said to simplify description so I didn't have to write a 3 page essay on hydraulics to get the message across. :roll: ](*,)

The car ran for several minutes and was left for (as I said) close to 30 before I proceeded any further as we had other things to do to kill the time.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

alan s wrote:The car ran for several minutes and was left for (as I said) close to 30 before I proceeded any further as we had other things to do to kill the time.
Hi Alan,

In that case I would say that you very likely have an intermitant electrovalve. (Perhaps the faulty diode problem)

I seem to recall conversations with you in the past where you didn't think it was switching as it should at the front - which easily explains this phenomenen.

If there is any pressure left in the centre sphere it will leak through the valve in the order of half an hour or so.

A good demonstration of this is - raise the suspension fully, turn the engine off, wait 30 seconds for the car to switch to hard mode, lower the suspension to normal height through the window (do not open any door) and then open the bleed screw, so the anti-sink valves close.

What you'll then see is over the next 15-30 minutes or so the car will gradually lift from normal height up by about several inches! (as the higher pressure from the centre sphere bleeds back to the outer strut spheres)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive