HELLO AND HELP PLEASE

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vincent vega
My Cars:

HELLO AND HELP PLEASE

Post by vincent vega »

I have Synergie 2.0 i have just had the map sensor changed and was told that the idle control valve will need doing. Where is a good place to buy these from? i think the part number is A24955. Also i have been told that the stiff Gear selection problem that i have is due to the sector cables which the main dealer will take off me £430 to replace. can the cables be adjusted?

Thanks for any help :D :D :D
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Some lubrication may help your gearchange. It may take a bit of ingenuity (oil cans, brushes, grease and even spray grease) but it worked wonders on our ZX which is admittedly all rod.
jeremy
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I have changed these cables in the past due to breakage. They are a bit of a fiddle. The cable set is around £150 (two cables, fittings, grommets etc) but there is no way it is worth £280 labour. An independent garage should be happy with less than half that.

It may just be possible to get some lubrication down them from the inside just under the gear lever. However in my experience modern cables are made with very tight clearences and it is the very devil to get lubrication to run the length of the cable.

Are you sure this isn't a clutch freeing issue. Does the stiffness happen with the engine off when you try all the gears?

I don't like these cable gearchanges but have to say new cables make a huge difference.

David
2009 C5 HDi VTR+Nav Tourer
2006 C3 HDi Desire
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Also most modern cables are nylon lined, in which case oil will actually make them worse. You would have to use a silicone lubricant.
Brian.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Brian UK wrote: You would have to use a silicone lubricant.
In which case you may be able to find some silicone only dash cleaner spray.
Otherwise, if you're having trouble finding silicone only spray, check out some airsoft sites such as www.zerooneairsoft.co.uk and www.airsoftarmoury.co.uk as we use them to lube our guns.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Silicone grease is used for servicing brake calipers. Comes in white, blue or red in tiny bags.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
vincent vega
My Cars:

Post by vincent vega »

Are you sure this isn't a clutch freeing issue. Does the stiffness happen with the engine off when you try all the gears?

It is through all the gears and when the engine is off. What do you mean clutch freeing issue???? to me the clutch pedal feels stiffer than before

Thanks guys for your help

David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Well if the engine is off and you run through the gears at a standstill you will be mostly feeing the weight or stiffness of the actual gearchange pivots and cables.

Start the engine and go to engage the gears using the clutch then you may feel an extra reluctance to engage gear if the clutch is not freeing. This can be adjusted a bit on some models but not an many later ones.

So you really need to try and pin down the difference between a cable stiffness and a "baulky" gearchange due to the clutch.

David
2009 C5 HDi VTR+Nav Tourer
2006 C3 HDi Desire