2.1td crank pulley

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davethewheel

2.1td crank pulley

Post by davethewheel »

i've noticed for a while now that the belt on my xantia is making a noise this only seems to happen when the engine is cold, it's a sort of slapping noise which goes away once the engine is warm, also the crank pulley appears to be out of true only really noticeable when the engine is ticking over at a guess i would say it's about 3 or 4 millimeters out , but it defiantly as a wobble to it.
i've checked the rubber as it's a dual mass pulley and it looks solid, i've even painted a line on it to see if it's shifting again looks ok,
i was wondering what could cause this and whether it's worth trying to get one from a scrappy :D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

These pulleys do fail, the one went on my previous XM did, but only usually at a very high mileage, completely fell apart on the A38 near Newton Abbot. They can cause damage as they can go through the cam belt cover, fortunatly, mine didn't. So if there is any doubt , I would change it. Mine went at about 250k. If you get one from the scrappy, make sure its the same, some are flat on the inside edge and some have a shoulder. If you fit the wrong one the belts will run out of line.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

hasn't done a lot of miles 140k which is not a lot for a citroen, is the pulley the same on a 1.9td ,i might just buy a new one if they are not stupidly expensive, i think there is some other kind of problem with the belt flapping around when cold maybe the tensioner is on the way out as well.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

No, true, that not a lot of miles, but it was the pulley looking out of true that set the alarm bells ringing. You really need to get a good look at it - easier said than done!
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

I had to replace that pulley on my Xantia before 100K. and the replacement is still fine at 250K. Check around for prices mine was over £130 from a Cit Dealer. Check the price with GSF - I have a feeling that they are much less.
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

One or two turn up one Ebay, supposed to be new, about £65 +P&P.

Steve.
not applicable
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

It's a few years ago (6 app.) since I replaced mine, at the time it could be purchased from GSM for under £40-00. I unfortunately discovered this price after the event.
deian

Post by deian »

i have this in mine too, it's been diagnosed as worn tensioner pulley... or/and the belt has stretched? Is it flapping madly on the bottom run?

of course, it could be the crankshaft like you have diagnosed, my crankshaft seems ok... mines done 205k though, so maybe there is an invisible fault somewhere
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

deian wrote:i have this in mine too, it's been diagnosed as worn tensioner pulley... or/and the belt has stretched? Is it flapping madly on the bottom run?

of course, it could be the crankshaft like you have diagnosed, my crankshaft seems ok... mines done 205k though, so maybe there is an invisible fault somewhere
yes the belt flap's about on the bottom run but only when the engine is cold once it warms up it seems to tighten up, GSF are only listing a pulley for a HDI , i think i'll try euro parts to see if they have one, i don't fancy spending £130 at the dealers especially as it looks as if i might need a tensioner as well :cry:
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

not applicable
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

the one listed is for a HDI, i will email them and see if it is the same one on a 2.1td but i don't think it is.
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

That one looks like the one on my 02 HDI 110, which in turn looks exactly like the one on the 1.9 TD. The one on my other 2000 HDI 90 is different though, and that is the one which fails, or at least, that is my experience.
Brian.
PlymouthGav

Post by PlymouthGav »

I did the alt belt auto tensioner on my xantia 1.9TD about 8 months ago. but today have the same rattle squeal back and i think this is now caused by the above said crank pulley. 150,000 on the clock.

Can i get this pulley from GSF or is it only stealer, i can see 2 listed on gsf.
N02300 XANTIA HDI £73.50 :shock:
N02301 XANTIA 2.0 HDI £46.00 :?

Whats the bets i will need the most expensive one. :evil: Its the law i know. :evil:
1997 Xantia 1.9TD A/C 149,000miles
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

nope unfortunately not it's dealer part only, there are a few kicking around on ebay but they are only for HDI , the dealer price is £144.00 :shock: , i'm not 100% sure mine is bust so i'm gonna hold of till i'm sure.