accelerator cable snapped / 97 Xantia SX (1.9td)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TehAgent
My Cars:

accelerator cable snapped / 97 Xantia SX (1.9td)

Post by TehAgent »

just went to start the car and the accelerator pedal stayed down, had a look and the cable has snapped just after the plastic clip.

How easy are these to fix and what sort of price am i going to be looking at?
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Same thing happened on mine after the spring unit (cylindrical bit that clips onto the airfilter housing) seized up.

Can't remember off the top of my head how much it was to replace, the cylinder is a seperate part if you need a new one.

Fitting was easy as I used the outer sheath of the original cable, so fed the new cable through from the driver's footwell.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

well just had a look, the little white clip that's on the foot pedal looks like a pain in the a.. to get off. cable looks easy to feed back through though.

typical, MOT coming up and everything wants to go wrong.

Got a squeaking noise coming from the rear when any pressure is apply to the back of the car too. and need new brake pads on the front, so looks like I'm in for a bit of fun before i get that MOT done.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Replacing the cable was a lot easier than I thought it would be, though if you replace the entire thing rather than re-using the old sheath, I'm sure it'd be a pain.

Brake pad replacement's ok too, hardest part I find is winding the piston back out of the way.

DIY sphere tool
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Well, just went down to my local Citroen garage, They wanted £38.99 for the cable :shock:

Bloody 'ell need a small mortgage for that bugger.

Well, sorry if this isn't allowed, but i'm going to name the place I'm getting from as it was so damn cheap compared to Citroen.

Its a place called Allen's autos. £15.00 plus Vat. so its going to be around 18 quid.

So, I'm going to have to replace all the pipe work too? ooh great :( another fun fiddly job.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I suppose it depends on what sort of state it's in, if it's grubby split or perished, then replace it, otherwise, just feed the new cable up through the hole in the driver's footwell.

Getting the old sheathing out of the spring cyclinder was easy when I tried unscrewing it rather than pulling :oops:

On mine, I found the cable had shredded itself inside the cylinder, which was causing the throttle to stick open!

DIY sphere tool
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

GSF sell a universal kit for about £10 - it has everything in it including some oil. Easy to replace the inner. Don't clip it into the pedal until you're absolutely sure you've got it all right.

I changed both inner and outer on our ZX as it seemed to be sticking and I thought the outer might be grooved. The plastic bung at the pedal end needed to be trimmed which I only realised after I'd assembled all of it.

I think the plastic cable clip at the accelerator pedal end will break out quite easily. There are 2 plastic 'Wings' which expand and hold it in place and they should break quite easily. (I think if they break unintentionally you can screw a nut on to the nylon stub to hold it in place)
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The Xantia is not that bad - get the kit from GSF (I think it's nearer £20) and change the lot. Worst bit is working out what bits you need. Just remove the pedal from the car (one bolt, easy) to allow easy access to unhook the cable from the pedal.

Our ZX has just had a new cable fitted by the garage (it snapped in use, and garage was easiest option) - it is still heavy though, so I think they have only changed the inner - when I changed the Xantia one and fitted all new and greased it, the throttle was much lighter. Looks like I will have to re-change the ZX one some time (thottle is heavier than the clutch since that was changed last year :twisted: )
Richard W
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

All sorted, not that bad of a job to be honest.

looks worse than what it is :)
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I had the little nipple snap off at the pump end. I cut the outer cable back in length by 30mm and used the inside of an electrical block connector screwed on the inner cable to act as a temporary nipple. It was still like that when I sold the car months later.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless