citroen electrics (sob sob)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

citroen electrics (sob sob)

Post by weety »

ok so i was driving on the motorway in my xantia when the temp warning light goes on..... temp gauge is still showing a sensible temp so i pull over to check (as an ex BX driver a temp light still means to me that the car has just booked its appointment in BX heaven).

the fans have gone into overdrive though (and i had the aircon turned off and the blower air wasnt being directed at the windscreen)

anyway the car didnt seem to be overheating so i continued and the light was flickering on and of (then the friendly red stop light started coming on as well) :evil:

get home and fans are still going manic but it still wasnt giving any sign of overheating :roll:

so after my tale of woe and worry :( (and before i unleash my spanners) am i correct in thinking that this is likely to be the right hand temp sender?

any advice gratefully received....

cheers

peter
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, sounds like BITRON is doing it's usual tricks. It's the brown sensor and the little fan controller ECU under the headlamp is the most likely culprit. Check the connections on it and the sensor. There have been loads of past posts about this and it looks like a headlamp out job to get at it effectively.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I had this problem too - temperature light flickering on (together with the stop light) when the gauge is reading normally - also the fans coming onto high speed... (very noisy)

In my case I found someone had "remounted" the bitron behind the headlight so obviously it had given trouble before...I just gave the contacts on the plug a really good clean and I've just realised its gone for almost a year now without a repeat of the false warning light..

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

We had a similar one with a 95 VSX when we were driving it 1300 klms from Sydney via outback roads!! :shock:

Turned out someone had hamfistedly managed to pull the wire off the engine temperature sensor which resides near the engine thermostat housing. It also explained why one of the cooling fans had brushes worn out completely.
Fixed fans, reconnected wire and have lived happily ever after.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

The wifes 405TD did something similar, turned out to be a blown fuse in the drivers fusebox, it had blown because the rotary airbag connector on the steering wheel had gone faulty.

Steve.
not applicable